While I was away, my Warwick blew up!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chasarms, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    For the last few months, I have been loving the LX6. I think I am becoming too lazy to deal with frets. But a few weeks ago, the MEC preamp in the thing totally crapped out.

Here's the good news, I installed a Basslines SMB preamp. Picked it up for a song at the Mars clearance sale. I figured I would give it a try since I have the basslines PUs.

The preamp was set up to go with a EBMM pickup. It has a mid sweep and the bass and treble on a concentric. Also features a pull-up volume that offers a different EQ contour which is trimmed internally on the preamp IC board.

I think it improved the tone of the bass considerably. I can still get all the Warwick wood that I want, but can be so much more articulate. The bass is much more solid and the response of the strings seems a bit improved. All in all, a great bass just got better. The voicing is much more pleasing to the ear.

For all those who say MEC preamps are cruddy, I guess I join you.

2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    totally agree. mec preamp is pretty muddy and generally blah sounding.

but - if it's an MM preamp, you don't have a blend knob now i take it?

my thumb bass started making funky squawking/static noises today at rehearsal. i'm gonna pull the preamp pretty soon and just make the darn thing volume-blend-tone. i like the passive tone on it better anyways. (of course this will be temporary until i get u-retros for both of them....if that day ever comes :( )
  3. I'm sorry to hear that the MEC preamp died, but I'm glad that the new pre is working out for you! The F Bass is still patiently waiting to be played by someone with some actual ability. :D

I'm still happy that the Warwick found a good home!
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I was able to integrate a blend knob into the circuit. I had to purchase it seperately, but it works fine. I tried using the one that was used in the MEC, but it was wasn't a normal pot. It had a little circuit board on it and came apart when I tried to unsolder the old wires. POS.

I have to have a blend knob, it is really the only tone variance that I use regularly.

The new one from allparts is better anyway because it is 250K. It is more sensitive than the other one.

The one thing that I do miss is the active bypass. I agree that the passive sound is good.

If you heard it now, you might want it back!!!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    From reading your title, I thought you went out & upon returning home, a family member/pet accidentally (or on purpose :eek:) knockked if off of a stand or something!!!!!

Thank goodness it wasent that!!!!!