1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

While on forced evac from Gustav, I stumbled across a Warwick I'd never seen before:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Warwick Vampyre NT

[​IMG]

I found one of these at the GC in Mobile, for the low low price of $5799. I... I kind of like it. I normally don't dig on pointy shapes, nor do I dig on basses that scream METAL!, but this thing kind of interests me. I didn't ask to play it, as it was up high and none of the sales lackeys seemed interested in even saying hello to me, and besides, I wasn't going to buy it anyway. But my curiousity is piqued. What's the consensus on these? Anybody here own one of these? Who's tried one? Opinions?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Overpriced. It's a VAMPYRE. :meh:

But hey, if you have the money.............

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't. I probably wouldn't spend that kind of scratch on this bass even if I had money to burn (unless Meshuggah called looking for a bassist...). I just thought it was interesting and was wondering what other people thought of it.

4. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The one I played you could shoot arrows off the neck so it ruined it for me.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Heh... you must have tried one at GC.

6. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

How'd you guess :meh: :D

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I love this one, the Dark Lord.
    Vampyre_DarkLoard_533_354_01.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've seen those, and didn't care for them. Something about the carved top on the Vampyre NT just strikes me.

Methinks it would be fun to play something like that in a funk band.

9. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Like playing a Tobacco Burst jazz with a tort guard in a Black Metal band huh? Wants some tweed cabs to go with it?

10. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    That looks surprisingly good for a pointy bass. I actually like it even. The bass clef inlays are an especially nice touch. The carved top definitely does make a big difference with this body.

11. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    Please tell me that you did not leave your basses behind in a hurricane? PLEASE tell me this!

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Actually, I left behind everything except for my acoustic guitar.

13. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I kind of like it (the carved top one). I wouldn't ever pay that kind of scratch for it, but I think it looks better than a lot of the other weird Warwick body shapes.

...before anyone flames me, I own a Thumb. I consider it an odd looking bass.

14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    The price is insane, but that's one surprisingly beautiful bass.

15. ofsalesmen

ofsalesmen

Apr 1, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I've always wanted to try one. It's an ERB in that it's tuned F#BEA... that'll make your pants flutter.

16. that F# string looks like a power line!

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I played one like Ben posted, except it was in Trans blue, when a friend of mine was passing through down.

I hate pointy basses, and this one balanced nice, had a neck to die for, and sounded like heaven. I borrowed it for a show (in a Jazz band no less!) and it surprisingly didn't look out of place on stage.

I'd buy one if I had the spare change and could justify getting one.

He got his used for $2000 IIRC

18. Contact TBer Kev Cooke, he has a vampyre that looks really close to that one, warwick custom shop.

http://www.myspace.com/kevcooke he has some recordings with his bass on myspace, the bass sounds good.

19. Wh4len

Wh4len

Sep 12, 2006
    Linkoping, Sweden
    it's fantastic ^^

20. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19

I also played one of these at a GC. I got it down for a laugh to play for my drummer but in truth it's actually pretty nice. The finish was fantastic, the bass felt good. Take away the weird angles and you can see it's actually pretty well-balanced. And it sounded good too!

Just just when I felt I had overcome my prejudices against metal-looking basses I looked at the price tag and put it back where I found it.