1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

While on the subject of the RHCP

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blazer, May 8, 2006.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    I just read through the thread about "Stadium arcadium" and there's a lot of talk about the guitarists that the RHCP had in their ranks and so I figured it to be time to have a seperate thread about the guitarists that played in the Peppers. And by that I mean the ones who played on albums so Blackbird MacKnight, Jesse Tobias and Arik Marshall do not apply.

Jack Sherman
    Played on "Red Hot Chili peppers" - 1984
    Sherman was the kind of guy who could hear the difference between a straight guitar lead and a curly guitar lead, his lines and solos on that album are very Zappa like. Sherman eventually left the band because of the others bullying him about his nerdy nature and straight edge way of doing. Allthough nowadays Anthony Kiedis says that the RHCP probably never would have come off the ground without him, so in the long run they gave him the credit he deserved.
    Sherman in "true men don't kill coyotes", note also the lack of tatoos on Flea and Anthony.

Hillel Slovak
    Played on "Freaky Styley", "The uplift Mofo Party plan" and several tracks of "Mother's milk"
    With Jack Sherman out of the picture, Hillel came back into the fold (Sherman replaced Hillel because Hillel had a contract to fulfill with another band) Hillel had a very Jimi Hendrix inspired way of playing, less detailed than Sherman's but with added sincerity. Hillel also was the one who brought the punk element to the RHCP's sound spectrum. And yet he had only begun to blossom as a musician when he died from a drugs overdose.
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers live during their "Freaky Styley" tour late 1985.

John Frusciante
    Played on "Mother's milk", "BloodSugarSexMagic", "Californication", "By the way" and "Stadium Arcadium"
    You can say that there are two Frusciante era's with the RHCP: the youthfull abandon Frusciante who shredded like Steve Vai on "Mothers' milk" and "BSSM" and the mellowed out Frusciante on their more recent recordings. (although his solo on The Mars Volta "L Via, L viaques" shows that he's still capable of tearing it up)
    The Peppers playing Pinkpop in 1990, note the then 18 year old frusciante rocking out

Dave Navarro
    Played on "One hot minute"
    Anthony Kiedis discribes Navarro in his book as a second Jack Sherman, somebody who keeps on tinkerering with his gear and who's not used to jamming with the band in order to write material. Navarro was the most technical player of the RHCP, relying more on skill rather than emotion to craft his music.
    The RHCP performing with Narro in 1996

Now my reason here is not to say "who was the best of them" but to name the things about all of them that caught our attention in both a positive and negative way. Let's talk about their different styles and what they added to the Peppers.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    John and Dave are the only guitarist they have had that I respect. The RHCP will never admit it, but Dave forced them to make an intense album that was outside the box, but I guess they didn't like it.

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    My fav is Frusciante. I´ve been listening to RHCP since BSSM and always enjoyed his tone variety and his sometimes "simplistic" approach to guitar.

Navarro comes close 2nd. His obviously a darker musician, but I really admire some of lines like "Walkabout" and mainly the first part of "Transcending".

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't know why the Navarro era doesn't get much love, I really dug One Hot Minute! Dave Navarro is starting to suffer from overexposure now though. IMHO:ninja:

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    In an interview with Flea from back then, Flea claimed to have written most of the music on OHM using his limited guitar skills. There's nothing quite like band drama, innit? :smug:
    I like OHM a lot, though. The title track is probably the darkest and heaviest song they've ever done and Dave's guitar parts and solos struck me as extremely creative.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    No love for Hillel? I liked his playing a lot.

As for Navarro vs. Frusciante, I guess it's a matter of taste. I'll phrase my opinion as such:

Mother's Milk/BSSM Frusciante > OHM Navarro > Post-BSSM Frusciante

I have a bootleg of a RHCP show with Navarro and it is some of the most inspired live stuff I've ever heard from them. Frusciante's playing is just too "restrained" for my tastes these days. Just my opinion.

7. I love them all! All hail Chili Peppers!

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Hillel was my favorite.... this is a good thread.

It always annoyed me how the VH1 Behind the Music left out so many of these guys.

9. I have never really liked OHM, but I should pick it up to see what it is like. I like the post OHM john the best.

lowsound

10. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I think John showed his best side when he was younger. I think he also put more thought into his riffs and solos back then.

I love OHM for how heavy it is, and for how each track varies in style.