Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

While Playing:Casters on or off??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jul 12, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Which one do you guys think sounds better??

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Off for safety reasons. You don't want your rig to suddenly decide to roll away.

3. When I play on a stage that has a wooden floor I keep the casters on, concrete I take them off.

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Locking casters anyone? :ninja:

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Off, unless I think my rig will be safe if I leave 'em on. As noted by xyllion, safety is the key... I notice no tonal difference either way.

6. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    This is what I found out over the years, so take it for what it's worth -
    Castors off allow the cab to fully resonate off the floor and help develop a much better low end and fatter sounding tones. It's much more effective on a raised floor or stage. There is a decent tone change on concrete without wheels but, just to keep it simple, wheels on a hard surface won't make that huge of a differance (Oh, and wrap a towel or cloth of some sort around two of your wheels if your worried your cab is going to roll around... though I've never had that one happen.. THAT would comical!) You just don't want to ever raise your cab completely off the floor (ie: hanging it up or on top of tables or chairs, etc) you will lose a ton of bottom end, especially with smaller cabs.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i usually left the casters on - the cabinet will definitely "couple" with some floors/stages which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending upon how much "fog" that produces
    every venue is different, but i wouldn't go nuts over it
    fwiw, a lot of high end home speaker manufacturers use "spikes" on the bottom of the cabinets to totally eliminate any coupling with the floor to prevent any coloration - in a way, casters kinda accomplish the same thing

8. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Castors off.
    Unless the room/stage has really bass-heavy acoustics, then I leave them on to help uncouple it from the floor as mentioned by others.

And the safety mentioned above. Put something under the wheels if you don't have locking castors. I have seen a rack full of power amps roll out of the back of a truck and fall four feet to the parking lot. And I've seen racks and cabs on wheels roll a little on stage from the vibrations. I'd hate for my stack to dance across the stage and off onto the floor.

9. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Front on back off with a single cab setup.

Castors off with numerous cabs.

10. I leave mine on unless I put an extension speaker underneath it and that's only because it won't fit underneath with the casters on. I can't tell any difference in tone with or without the casters.

11. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I've thought about trying that, but never have. Seems like a good idea for a tilt-back effect.

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, that's what I do too. Sometimes I'll even stick my Auralex GRAMMA pad under the front casters if I don't plan on stacking my rack on top.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Actually, spikes do just the opposite. Instead of eliminating coupling with the surface, they more rigidly couple to it. If the surface is very rigid, that's great, but even just setting the loudspeaker enclosure on the surface will do the same thing unless the surfaces are some weird slippery stuff. ;^) If the surface isn't rigid, you'll have some boominess whether there are spikes or not.

The tonal difference between casters on or off--a couple inches further away from the floor versus a couple inches closer--is too minuscule to worry about compared to all the other variables.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i was not aware of that bob............
    someone better tell the nice folks at B&W speakers that their spikes are a bad idea ;)

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    They're not a bad idea, but they're generally more for show than go. ;)

16. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Generally, if I don't have to move my rig off stage in a hurry, I take the castors off. Otherwise I leave them on. I don't really hear any tonal difference.