Whims Of Chambers

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by ejuzek, May 13, 2005.

1. Hello... Anyone with the chord changes of Paul Chamber´s "Whims Of Chambers".

I just learned the Head WOW !!!, but I would like to transcribe his solo after the first chorus, and have a better understanding of the notes he chose...

Best regards,

e.c. :confused:
  2. dex68

dex68 Guest

May 5, 2005
    The thing is, at some point you have to learn to get the changes off the record, so why not now? It's a challenge at first, but challenges are what the artistic process is all about, and you will learn so much with every chord. Try doing it like this: First get the melody written out. then go for the roots of each chord, then fill in the blanks. I use the piano for this if I need to. Usually with straight ahead fare, the harmony is pretty straight forward. I haven't heard this record.. does the bass play the melody? Maybe there aren't bass note in the melody, but I bet there are for the piano solo, and it's very likely to be the same as the head(melody). Anyway, it'll be obvious. If you're new at this, you might make some mistakes. That's ok. Keep going through it until all the chords fit what your ears tell you.
    This is how musicians really learn jazz harmony. Not from books or theory classes.
  3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    This is a great tune to figure out the changes to. They are pretty straightforward.
  4. Thanks for the advice... I´m going to start it tonight...

Thank you guys, have a nice weekend... :D

Best Regards,

5. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Unless I'm mistaken, "Whims of Chambers" is a pretty straightforward 12-bar blues in the key of F:

Hope that helps.
  6. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    i transcribed PC's solo on this tune, it really gives you an insight into the strong/weak beat approach PC's uses, i like it how the phrases starts on the & of 1 and his use of the major 7th on the weak beat!
    wicked stuff!