Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whinge about peavey

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Aug 11, 2004.

1. righto, im quite pissed off that peavey is no longer available ANYWHERE in australia (new gear, not 2nd hand) im was really excited about the BAM 2x10 combo and was looking forward to try it, but when i asked about it all i got was, NO PEAVEY, REJECTED, DENIED (not actual words), but is there anyone here that works for peavey or has connections and can find out why you aint selling any gear here, at least ship a few hundred Bam combos over here :rolleyes: ..But come on peavey, get your act together :scowl:

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Are you going to buy a couple of hundred BAM combo's?

I would imagine the reason that Peavey doesnt sell here is because "Peavey doesn't sell here". Basic rule of supply and demand - if you aint got no demand - don't supply!

3. funny how cultures are so different...we only have peavey. granted, they are just their low-end p-bass copies and 10 watt amps, but thats all that is in this town...we did have a bam 210 for about two weeks, but that sold very quickly...

i would love another brand in our town!!

4. well we had the max series here in newcastle a few months ago and apparently they sold rather quickly and about 2 heads per week for a month, then it just stopped, although we're getting hartke and nemesis here now, i was surprised at the price of nemesis $1000 for a 250w 2x10 combo, but i want a bam :bawl:

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Have you contaced Peavy and expressed your displeasure?

Have you put pressure on you local dealer to bring them into the country?

Are you intent on buying one or just a tire kicker?

Have you checked the manual to see whether it has a variable voltage power supply and a removable power cord to ensure that it could work in Australia?

Did you happen to notice that Stu Hamm is endorsing these things...I wonder if that had anything to do with your interest? ;)

6. ive been drooling over these things for about 3 months now, yes i have noticed the stu hamm endorsement action, they must be decent if he's dropped hartke after 10+ years, but they sound sweet from every audio demo ive heard...i havent checked the manual that thouroughly yet, but i am a fan of peavey amps, main reason ive still got my mark 3 head, ive asked musos corner and they said theirs no dealer importing them here....

the bam has all the features id like, im not too keen on floor pedals, so i like that it has built in effects, mostly effects that i like too, and the amount of presets that you can store is sweet, nice power rating too

http://www.peavey.com/images/products/bassamps/bam210_lg.jpg

7. reading the manual it says: mains circut breaker 6 amps (resetable), and it does has a removable power cord, its got a midi out, and built in di

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well if you are that keen on one, just order one from a site like Bass Central or BassNW that ships internationally. Doing that would probably be no more expensive than buying one here after the dealer has put their mark-up on.

Alternatively, get someone like dnburgess to see if he can import one for you. There are a lot of options open to you. Hell even Peavey has online shopping on their website. Have you exhausted all these avenues yet?

9. well, like i said, there was one in town a while ago, i thought it was pretty cool. not great, but pretty cool. i never got used to the pedal it came with though.
    well, hope you find one.

10. i havent yet, but i just like to try before i buy......yes, im a obsessive compulsive, arrogant, music store groupie bastard

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So what you are saying is that you are upset because you can't get some music store to take a risk and import something that may or may not be good and may or may not sell, jsut so you can try it out, even though you yourself are not prepared to take that risk?

Oh the humanity! ;)

PS please remove that linked image its stuffing up my browser! attach a thumbnail if you have too!

12. i just like to know what im buying, i never would of bought a kubicki without trying one (oh the humanity)......ive had so much experience off ebay, especially in mobile phones where they either dont show up, not what i bought, or are snapped in half :rolleyes: , but i saw a while ago that they were bringing out a bam115 and a bam 112 too, but my main whinge is why they would completely pull out of selling stuff here, surely they would of been selling a decent amount of gear

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just because you import one doesnt mean you have to buy it, most stores have a return policy. The issue is who should have to bear the risk of you not liking the product. If one is already in the country, then its a non-issue, but in the case where its not, why should a store have the bare the risk?

As I said earlier, if they were selling a "decent" amount of gear, they probably wouldnt have pulled out of Australia. Chances are they were getting eaten alive by the import costs for the few sales that they got and probably are still suffering in this market from the terrible reputation their 80's bass gear had.

You can get similar features that the BAM combo had by buying an Eden Nemesis and a Bass Pod or, even cheaper, a Beringer combo with a beringer pod thing.

14. i dont really like those pod thingys as well.....bad rep the 80's bass gear had? everything ive heard about them is great, they sound(ed) great and are as tough as a 40 year old hooker from kings cross...my mark 3 looks like its been through hell and it runs like a kitten, of course theirs better stuff out there, but for the price i wouldn't go past 2nd hand peavey gear, i doubt ill ever sell my mark 3.......but what i have had drooling sessions over is a behringer 8x10 and getting a behringer power amp and using my peavey as a preamp and my new ashton cab as a monitor......running the ashton from the peavey, then running from the preamp send from the peavey to the poweramp to the behringer cab....if that would work..i got no idea, amps really arent my forte, thats why i like em simple :p :smug: sorta

15. I wouldn't be buying anything unless I have tried it. I owned peavey stuff years ago, and it was poo. Unreliable and the tone was crap. I think I got the lemon in the batch.But I was alot younger and didn't have a clue about what a good tone was. Maybe the new peavey stuff is better? I noticed a Huge difference between the peavey amp (MK8) and the SWR amp (silverado combo)I bought next..... Huge difference. And the amp I own now (MO'BASS) is choice .Another words.... I'd personally be looking at another amp if I were you. I guess there is cost factors involved too.But thats my opinion from my experience. I recommend to anyone, spend the extra bucks, its worth it in the long run, even if you have to save for longer.

16. First things first.

I tried a Bam 210 the other day at Allans Music in Sydney.
    Pricey, but excellent none the less. Say what you want about Peavey, i thought that this is an excellent combo.

Second, I long have you been searching for one? Dealers usually ship in products quarterly or half yearly.. so you might have to wait a good few weeks for the next shipment to come in.

Third, you need to take your case up with Australis Music Group, They are representing Peavey, Ibanez & Akai among other brands.

Hope that helps.

17. jesus christ, the last peavey gear i saw was a few good months ago 3-4 minimum, and i was at musos corner and they said that no peavey gear was getting shipped here(australia) anymore, lying bastards......but i love the peavey sound, except for the max series, they seemed alittle bland for my taste, and heavy......and although i like SWR, i like the peavey sound better, and the build quality, as i said, my mark 3 is probably one of the most solidly built amps ive tried, plus i love the simple controls, more amps should be like this

18. Aww hell no! sounds like they're lying to me man. Or they are not gonna carry Peavey gear anymore.

I'll ask around here. There's two major music stores right next towhere i work.
    Allans music and Venue Music. both can ship australia wide.

I'll let you know what the story is.

BTW though, i asked a local store near where i live for the BAM 210 a few years ago (when it first came out). and they said Australis Music Group Doesnt carry them, so they need to special order it.

I'll get back to you on this....

19. cheers man

20. It might be easier to get Stuart to endorse a brand that's available in Australia.