Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whining musicians...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by haujobb, Feb 28, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    From a music forum in my area:
    I personally laughed at the guy and told him to get over it, part of my response:
    How does everyone feel about this little issue? Does anyone see the issue?

Edit: Rote is my band, if it matters...

2. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    Same thing over here.
    My band can fill up a 900 people venue with relative ease by now but most of them are around my age (19) who all are students with near zero money who will pay to get in. Pay for SOME drinks and leave after the show.

My bass-teacher's band can't even fill half of the same venue but brings a crowd of 'elderly' (30+) who are going to party all night at that same place. (which in the end yields more money than us playing on the same stage)

It's all about money, and we're not providing any... yet.... :p

3. hey haujobb, where are you from? I'm from Sarnia...small world, eh?

4. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Well, I think the funniest thing is that he's in a band without a name. I mean, all the "We're not good enough" crap aside, you know he wants to play there :p He wants his nameless band ot open for Great White...

Self-serving double talk is funny...

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm from Wallaceburg, but my band is based in Chatham... It's a very small world, I'll actually be going to Petrolia tmm for a doctors appointment and then maybe Sarnia after for some food. The restaurants in Sarnia are way better than Wallaceburg and Chatham.

As far as playing that club, we play there at least once a month, we've opened for some big acts, we've headlined some acts. The thing is, when we open for the big acts, its groups that appeal to a younger audience, like Out of your Mouth, Dead Celeb Status. Come to think of it, we were supposed to open for a band called Flatlined that's gaining some recognition in Canada, but a nice snow storm put an end to that. The band being attacked is quite tight with my band, they're starting to get some recognition as well and have offered to take us along for a few shows out of the area, so quite honestly I'm not bothered by the situation. Actually to be quite honest, we played a show last weekend where 2 of the bands appealled to the older crowd, and 2 to the younger crowd. My band went on last and by the end of the second song, all the older people decided to go home, did this bother me? nope. If we wanted to appeal to a large, we would be a rock music playing cover band, but we have chosen the creative path knowing that not everyone was going to be receptive of our music.

Anyways, this stopped making sense a long time ago so I'm gonna cut it here...

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hmm...anyone know where Sarnia is in relation to Kingston or Belleville? I'm intrigued by these "nearby" TB'ers.

7. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Sarnia is right across from Port Huron I beleive...