1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whipping Post!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mellowinman, Sep 29, 2013.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Many of you know about, and have seen this thread:

My ongoing struggle with Whipping Post

For those of you who haven't, the idea is, I've been trying to make Whipping Post a staple of our set list. Luckily, I have a drummer who put a lot of time into woodshedding it.

This is one song I feel I was born to sing. I'm proud of my band. This isn't really an example of "nailing it," but it's definitely coming along. I feel pretty good about it.

2. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Pretty good drummer.

3. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    Sounds good, internet man. One thing I was missing was the second guitar part but I guess there's not much you can do about that.

4. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Nice - What key are you guys playing this in?

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Original key from the studio version.

I've always thought of it as Amin

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I could split the keyboard, and put in a guitar song, but so far, that's just not working for me. I'm a big fan of leaving a little sonic space here and there, so I'm happy with this version as of now.

It may develop as we go. In this particular video, the keys are light in the mix, and for me, the bottom end of the drums and bass are, as well.

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Not bad at all for a live four piece...

Your wife has great feel...and I mean that in the least offensive way possible... :D

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'm really proud of her. She never much cared for the song, and was opposed to playing it. She took a long time to get it, and what happened was, Scott really put some time in on drums, and she and Scott have pretty good chemistry, so she stepped up her level of playing all of a sudden.

I'm very enthused by the rhythm section on this song, and feel it will only get better with time. This is about the fourth time we've played it live.

I also like how Arthur is dropping out so nice in the verses. He's developing that jazzy style he needs for the song, and it seems like he is actually practicing the thing. He will also get better.

I can't explain why this song means so much to me; it just does. I think it embodies the proper spirit of blues/rock, drawing from jazz and understanding that rockers aren't meant to play straight blues, but that we always have one foot in that blues world.

Proper rock is based on blues, and I think the very best bands get that.

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I'm in the camp of Whipping Post being something special. The very first time I heard it, I fell in love with it. Loved that song ever since, so I was already a fan before I clicked on it. You guys did it well enough that I would not have been pissed if I was in the audience... :)

10. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    I didn't watch the full thing, but I saw enough to get that you really nail the feel of the tune. If I may offer a minor criticism, it would be to move around more. Few things stand out to me more than a frontman who just pulls a 'stand and deliver' in front of the mic - ESPECIALLY when they obviously know the tune and have the vocal chops to really dig in. I fully admit that I might just be weird, but that's my opinion ;-)

Other than that minor point, you guys definitely nailed the tune. I love Whipping Post (and the Allmans in general), and I dig good covers of their material.

11. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Great job. It's been a while since I've been in a band that looks like it's as much fun as that one. It's an accomplishment. I also checked out some of the other videos--all good.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I play keyboards on the song, (not that you can hear them in this recording,) and I'm still working out exactly how I want to do it. I've been leaving them out during the vocals, just so I can focus more on the energy of the vocal, and to give me some sonic space.

I may decide to play through. It's hard to move around when you have to stay near the keyboard.

13. steveb119

steveb119 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2012
    orlando fl.
    your version sounds pretty good it took my band awhile to get it together also. check it out and let me know what you think thanks steve

14. Mark Plays Bass

Mark Plays Bass Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    Yowser! You were right - you were born to sing Whipping Post! Excellent, passionate vocals and I really like the drumming too.

I'd been following your other thread about Whipping Post. I've always held this song in very high esteem. I enjoyed reading about your relationship to a piece of music. I'd love to see more discussions like this on TB.

15. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Very nice - I liked Simple Man too :bassist:

16. Mark Plays Bass

Mark Plays Bass Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    Just excellent! You have a terrific band.

Thanks for posting the link.

17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Very Nice Job!

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I like this. Your version is a bit more laid back, and jam-tastic. Kind of in the spirit of actual ABB jams.

19. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    It certainly sounds like you made the right call on pushing the song.
    It came off well.
    Good job.

I'd suggest putting the keyboard setup facing the front of the stage instead of off to your left.
    It looks awkward.

Couldn't really tell from the recording, but the keyboard seems to need a little boost in level, it's a bit buried, but again, it may be just the recording.

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I set up the keyboard like that because I only play keyboard on about 1/6 of our songs. The rest of the time, I need room to play bass, acoustic guitar, and to be able to move around a bit as lead singer.

You are certainly right about the keyboard being buried. Last show, it was too loud. It is the one thing dogging our mix, and it's usually because we don't have enough time to sound check everything as much as I'd like.

In this case, there was actually a sound person, and if he would have been competent, he would have brought the slider up. I could hear the keyboard fine in the monitors, and I didn't really have any reason to turn up, from where I stood.

Still, I can live with it.