1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whirlwind Guitar Cables

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Malachi71, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Has anyone here used Whirlwind cables? Are they good quality cables?

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have two 18' Whirlwind Leader cables that are well over 10 years old, and they work as well as the day I bought them. Not a snap, crackle or pop from them. I also have one of the newer cables with the fancy wooden ends (I forgot the proper name), and it's been working great as well.

I've had ProCo, Monster, Planet Waves, etc., etc. All of them developed some kind of problem, and eventually made it to the scrap-heap. Whirlwinds are the only cables I have never had problems with (where's some wood to knock on). Oh...I even have some Fender (made by Whirlwind) cables that are still going strong!

So...I love Whirlwind cables! :bassist:

3. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007

Thanks for the input. A local music store is selling these cables for $9. They are 20' in length. I thought it seemed like a good deal.

4. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I also use the Whirlwind Leader cables, and have yet to have a problem with them. They get stepped on all the time too. I've been tempted to try the Bill Lawrence DIY cables, but every time I use my Whirlwinds, I just think "why bother?".

5. Cant miss. Great cables. Great company ( was MXR Innovations in its early days - then cableing and effects split , er literally divorced.

6. Depending on what/where/how you play a 20ft will either be a huge pain in the butt (Like if you just sit next to your cab while you play, and if the shielding/wire cover doesn't take to coiling.), but if you move around or play across the room from your amp it can be a life saver.
    Just saying that because I bought a 20ft livewire cable that was coated in plastic or something and it won't coil and I only use it when I am playing bass by my computer (The difference between having a 6ft cable that has no slack and runs in a straight line from my input jack to amp, and having a bunch of cable strewn about my room but I can actually move around.).

I'm going to check those cables out though.

7. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I use the Leader cables and the ONLY downside I can find (even this nit picky) is that they are *somewhat* stiff. That's hardly a downside, more of an observation I guess you can say. :p