1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whirlwind OC Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dave763, Aug 12, 2012.

1. dave763

dave763

Aug 12, 2012
    Anybody using the Whirlwind OC Bass optical compressor? Comes with 18vdc pwr supply.
    With nothing to compare it to, all can say is, I like it. I have a Keeley 4 knob on the way.
    Just wanted to hear from anyone that is using/has tried the Whirlwind pedal.

2. dave763

dave763

Aug 12, 2012
    I plugged both basses(more on those in a minute) into both the Keeley and the Whirlwind. I think the Keeley rolls off a bit of the lows. The Whirlwind let the lows come through. The attack is a fast med slow three position switch on the Whirlwind.The Keeley has a knob. I use a fast attack on both pedals.
    The other main difference would be the clipping knob on the Keeley.
    My main bass is a 2007 4 string Fender Precision. My other bass is a 1968 Gibson. Two very different sounding basses.
    The Gibson is boomy and hot compared to the Fender. So I ended up using the Keeley on the Gibson. Tamed the big bottom nicely.
    The Fender never sounded better than it does going into the Whirlwind OC Bass. Very clean, great sustain. I think because it is a 18vdc optical compressor it has more headroom. Also Whirlwind states that this compressor is optimized for bass.
    In short,I'm really liking the Whirlwind OC Bass:D
    I have a dual band FEA Labs comparison to do soon;)