1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whirlwind's life time warranty

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PJSShearer, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I just bought another Whirlwind lead on Sunday and was wondering - how come if they are offering a lifetime repair or repace warranty on their leads, why do they require "proof of purchase"?.

If it is a "lifetime" warranty you don't need to prove you bought it before a certain date and, as the plug has WHIRLWIND printed on it in stonking great white letters, you don't need to prove that it's a Whirlwind.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Because nobody holds on to their sales receipts for a low dough cable. The warranty sounds impressive, but they still sell more cables than they warranty.

It's purely a marketing thing.

3. As I got 20+ years out of the last one I bought - I doubt if I'd bother anyway.
    But I've kept the reciept for this one..

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Because the warranty only applies to the original retail purchaser. So requiring proof of purchase means they're only warranting material still owned by the person who bought it new in the first place. And maybe, just maybe, they use that data to see how long their stuff lasts.

Me, I don't worry about warranty as much as I do about actual longevity. I don't care if they (e.g. Monster) have a life-time no questions warranty. If I have to take it back to the store every three months and get a new one for free does me no good if it craps out on Saturday night at the gig. I'd rather have one that works every time than one that I can replace every time.

John

5. Well I might give my leads to my daughter on my death bed ...

Whatever happened to ..

Unsolder the plug, cut 2" off, resolder???

6. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Went through the same thing years ago. Had one that crapped out after less than a year and I figured it it was like swapping out a wrench at Sears, here's the old one give me a new one. :rollno: Wasn't that easy as I soon learned. I just said forget it, bought a hand full of 1/4 jacks, cut it up and made patch cables out of it and never bought another Whirlwind cable again.