Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

white block inlays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suasa, Aug 28, 2004.

1. okay not totally sure if i will do this or not but i am making my squier special a fretless the neck is ready for a coating and the body is ready to be refinished but i want to put white block inlays in the board so first off what are white inlays made of not pearl or anything just straight white and how much will it cost me canadian. and finally can i do this myself i have minimal tools although i have decent wood working skills but now that i have moved in wiht my mom all i have is a drill some chisels a belt sander and a screwdriver set so i dont believe i have the tools to do it although i could probably borrow some. well thanks in advance. oh and heres a pic of what i want as a finished product although probably black hardware and its a p bass of course.

2. I think some of them are made of White Corian, or at least thats what Warmoth uses. Its kind of more cream though.

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I think I read somewhere that the fretless with blocks would sound different when your finger is on the blocks and whatnots.

4. bump
    anyone else come on.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No. I just picked up my fretlesss, and hit B. Then, I put a piece of paper under the string, and hit the same B. No difference. Something makes me think that something that's inlaid into the wood is going to have even less of an impact on the sound.

When some luthiers find it find it hard to believe that there are appreciable sonic differences between body woods (alder vs. ash, for instance), and a LOT more people acknowledge that there's very little difference between fingerboard woods, I find it incredibly difficult to believe that inlays will have any sort of sonic difference.

suasa: It could cost more money to have those inlayed than a new squier. Talk to a luthier around town (I'm just assuming there's one in Whitehorse, it being the capital and all) and they'll give you a more accurate price representation.

6. thanks Govithoy
    well i dont believe the inlays will make a differece either especially since i am coating my neck with polyeurothane if thats how u spell it well i am really not sure if there is a luthier in the yukon being that the total population of whitehorse is 25000 people and the yukon is around 30000. well i guess i will just have to find a luthier somewhere to get an estimate well thanks again.

7. oh and in that picture i have there the neck is black. is that the wood or a finish of some sort and would it be possible to put a black finish on my neck and then the polyeurothane and still have the white inlays?? or should i be posting this in the luthier forum.