Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

White Epiphone Thunderbirds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flexo, Jul 26, 2005.

1. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hey,

As some of you may know epiphone has released a white t-bird bass as part of its "guitar of the month program". Has anyone played one or own one yet?

2. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    bump!

I guess maybe no one's tried one?

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm guessing it's exactly like the other ones, but looks good. This is a T-bird I can actually say I like the look of, but the headstock just turns me off.

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    If I had the funds I would get one...I love the Headstock IMO I think the Headstocks are killer looking.

5. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I almost cried when I saw it- I'm a white-bass kinda guy, and I just bought a sunburst T a few months back, all the while wishing they made a white one. Now I missed out. :bawl:

I guess I'll have to buy a second T bird then :D

6. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Aww secondhandloser that sucks! :mad:

How do you find the t-bird? What other basses have you had that could offer some comparison in terms of quality and sound?
    Also i read a thread recently where a few people said they were pretty muddy and another thread where people said they were pretty growly. :confused:
    What have you found to be the case?

7. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Cedar Hills, UT
    I own seventeen Thunderbirds and have even owned a few more over the years that I foolishly sold. I haven't played the Korean Epi, but I've heard great things about not only their sound, but their fit and finish as well. I have played every era of Gibson's 'bird, as well as the Greco, Orville, and Epi Japan versions and I can tell you that I've never played a muddy sounding Thunderbird in 23 years. They can sound growly if you play them through an amp set to make the signal sound that way, and they do have more of a midrange bite than a Fender, but I love the sound that comes from that. I can also get a tone that blends perfectly with anything from Jazz, to pop, to country, to regular old rock or in your face rock or metal. What a Thunderbird does have that sets it apart from P basses, Jazz basses, Stingrays, etc., is its own distinct sound. No matter which era I've tried, they all have a distinct "Thunderbird" sound. The only way to know if you'll like that sound or not is to play one for a while.

8. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
  9. According to music123 and the musicians friend magazine, It has the same pups as the goth thunderbird, t TB plus, or whatever they're called. I've played the newer Epi's and they sound great, I mean, Its No Gibby, But Its certainly I think, A better buy then the Standard Fender's. Id buy one and give it the "vintage" look with chrome pups, hardware, and what not. The white one is sexy though, A black pickguard would look a little better with it though.

10. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I've never played anything even close to it. THe neck is shaped kind of weird, but feels really nice once you get used to it. The bass sounds muddy, until you learn how to use it. THe bridge pickup is pretty clear from the factory, but I removed the foam padding from underneath so that I can get that twangy sound form that pup, very similar to a Pbass. WIth both pups on, it gives a really nice growly tone, but you need to turn your low mids down a lot, or else you get mud. THis bass prduces som much more low end than I thought it could, and that is what most people dislike. EQ'ed properly though, you can get just about anything you want out of it. It's beatiful. I can't imangine using a different bass in the under $500 category.

11. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I've said this one I've said it a million times this thing Rocks. It will rip the heart out and eat it in front of any nay sayers and laugh in there face. (sorry but my regular bla bla bla is getting quite borring to type.)

As far as Muddy goes I have never played a Bass or a Guitar that sounded Muddy...bad EQ setup or maybe a tone knob turnd down that made it sound muddy.

I put this in another thread...go to Musicians Friend or Music 123 and read the reviews there I haven't seen a bad one there..I'd trust the reviews of someone that ownes it and not someone who played it in the store for like 5 seconds, or someone who has never played one at all......

12. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thank you to all the knowledgable t-birdists that replied! :cool: :D

I think you've all convinced me to give the epi t-bird a shot! :bassist:

13. FenderStripes

FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    The Limited Edition White Epi T-Bird seems to be out of stock at MusiciansFriend :( I was really contemplating getting one too... :bawl:

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Its probably only the one instrument, but the epi thunderbird i tried didnt go to well with distortion and wah, meaning the distortion jsut sounded wrong and the wah barely effected the sound at all. I then plugged a rockbass into the pedals, and it sounded 100 times better. :meh: