White Fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Mar 10, 2005.

1. I'm just curious. I was looking a repainting a bass.. How do they go about getting the fingerboard to be white? I'm not sure where I saw one (maybe Prince's band) where the fingerboard was white...

How is this done?? Painted?? If so, how long does it last and how does it effect the sound?
  2. Bill Dickens bass is also like this.
  3. Yeah, thats another place I saw it also.

P.S. I see you are from Indiana.. Play in Indy anywhere??
  4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  5. Ok, so how is that done??
  6. Hey Bobby,

No, I'm from the Northwest part. You know...where all the lake effect snow is. ;)

I will be in Indy for NAMM though. Plan on attending?
  7. I would love to but I heard its only open to vendors and manufacturers.. Can just plain old musicians get in??
  8. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Maybe try the luthier's forum? May get more feedback there. I'd help if I knew, but I def dont have an answer on this one
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Good ol' paint. It's got to be thick though. And tough. You might want to go with taller frets, and a lighter touch so as not to wear the finish underneath. I would reccomend a maple neck/FB, because it's easy to paint, and it needs a finish anyways.
  10. It's open to vendors and manufacturers and their guests.
  11. ahhh.. Just need to find a vendor or manufacturer to become buddies with :)
  12. There ya go!
  13. mdrdvp

Nov 8, 2004
    Here's my Moon. Build in 1982 I believe. The finish on the neck is still in great shape, no dings at all, maybe a minor scratch but that's it. There is no difference between this white fingerboard or a normal fingerboard with a transparant finish. So spray the fingerboard white and you the right laquer to finish the board.

Attached Files:

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Rickenbacker 4003 Tuxedo.

15. If you're in college you may want to see if anyone in your music department is going. It's pretty easy to get in if you're a student affiliated with a music department. I'll be there :D
  16. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Prince has two custom built guitars with matching neck colors. One was built by Auerswald who does it STANDARD on some models. another company would be Bass Lab who does it standard on ALL their models. Warwick will also do it in their custom shop. Prince has two Thumbs with white fingerboards. Doesnt affect the sound as far as I know of, Larry Grahams bass sounds incredible, just get the live prince video called "Rave unto the Year 2000" and see what I mean :eek: Hold on to your seat if you watch it in surround sound!!!