1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

White hardware

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Finishing up my "stealth" bass...all black hardware, ebony board...etc. All black and looking pretty slick.

Got me and my repair guy thinking...it would be awesome to do one in all white but I don't know of anyone that makes white hardware...tuners or bridges, to be precise.

I would think (but what do I know) that powder coating hardware white would be the same as black, but a web and TB search yielded nothing.

Does such stuff exist?

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I have never seen any white hardware offered. Most black hardware is "Black Chrome" so it is almost as hard and durable as regular bright chrome. You could have some hardware Powder Coated in white but it would chip or rub off in the high friction areas over time, but the wear rate may be acceptable. Try it, you may like it.
    Rocky

3. Can the powder coating people do it?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For powdercoating you would need to get the parts in an uncoated, raw material form, like unfinished aluminum, zinc, brass, etc. I've just recently talked with Hipshot about ordering brass bridges with no finish, and they are A-OK with that. Then you'd need to send the parts off to a powdercoater. Yes, it can be done.

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Yeah, I kinda figured it could be done. Just about anything can if you're willing to pay enough I suppose.

You may have the best idea though...was just kinda hoping somebody offered it to begin with.

Does it make any difference if it's aluminum or brass?

6. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    You can get orange, so you must be able to get white:

DSC_8250.

These are Gotohs

7. cdaniel

cdaniel

Nov 29, 2003
    Arizona
    Anything that is electrically conductive and won't melt in a 300 to 400f furnace can be powder coated. Precision fit parts like tuning gears and threads will be a problem. The build up will make them not fit anymore.

8. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i...... LOVE your orange and blue'nessicity there.

dayum. made me dry hump the screen before i remembered i had a friend over.

YOU try explaining that when they come out of the bathroom.

"ur! pretty! so... pretty! hump of..... appreciation? ur?"

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ...Except it's par for the course that these parts were going to be chrome-plated anyway, so they are designed to have enough tolerance, or to have the threads masked or wire-brushed.

10. cdaniel

cdaniel

Nov 29, 2003
    Arizona
    Decorative chrome plating is not very thick, a few thousandths of inch most likely. Powder coat is much thicker and variable. If the parts a plated already, stripping isn't easy, but possible. If it's possible to get parts pre plating, critical surfaces could be masked to be raw after the white powder coating. Might be an interesting look. Selectively removing powder coat after is tough. The stuff is really durable.

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Powdercoating is too thick, and won't work on harware that's already plated.

Electroplating is what the colored instruments like custom finished saxophones and trumpets etc are done in.

12. Dude... Ritter is OFF THE HOOK!!! He's one of those guys I'd like to meet some day...

13. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Before anyone mentiopns the word anoodizing, you CANNOT anodize in white. The absolute closest thing you can get to a white ano is clear (ano without dye).

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Wow, Id of never thought of that color combo but it works really really well. Very kewl.