1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

White Inlays & Binding on Tinted Maple Fretboard Feasible?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by finetops, Sep 9, 2016.

1. finetops

finetops

May 28, 2013
    Hello!

To my knowledge the normal order of things would be to, firstly, fit in and level binding & inlays, and then, secondly, cover everything with tint, so in the end also inlays & binding are vintage colored. Pure white binding & pearloid inlays on a vintage tinted fretboard - is this feasible at all? ... scratching my head:unsure:

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Sure, the normal sequence would be:

Put in all the bindings and inlays, flush with the surface.
    Spray the whole neck with several coats of tinted clear to get the color you want. Keep it fairly thin.
    Scrape the tinted finish off the binding and inlays carefully with a razor blade or fine scraper.
    Spray the whole neck with clear.​

finetops likes this.
  3. finetops

finetops

May 28, 2013
    Oh my, that sounds like a whole lotta work. Maybe I should go for black inlays and binding. Here one just sprays tint on top, so you won't see it anyway right?

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Scraping some finish off the binding and inlays isn't hard and doesn't take very long. Far less work than trying to mask them off, and then removing the masking.

finetops likes this.
  5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    ^ Yep. It takes minutes to scrape the finish off the binding.

finetops likes this.
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Not to mention it leaves a softer edge, verses the hard paint line that is left after pulling off the masking tape

finetops likes this.