Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

White Jazz Body Seeks Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Glenn D., Oct 7, 2004.

1. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I just bought a white jazz body and I'm trying to decide which type of fretboard to go with, maple or rosewood. It has a tortoise pickguard. I've already got a jazz with a rosewood board and I'm going to be putting together another one soon with maple, so it isn't necessary for this one to be one or the other.

Aesthetically, which do you folks prefer for this color combo?

Thanks,

Glenn D.

2. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    IMO rosewood would look better with a white/tort combo.

3. Maple with big rectangular inlays or....

Rosewood with no inlays and no dots (clean)...now THAT would be nice.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Well, lemme see now. Unless I'm mistaken, Warmoth will sell you a maple neck with black block inlays and black binding. I think that would look sharp.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    [​IMG]

Well, it was Olympic White 24 years ago.

:D

6. I like your carpet. :D

I'd go rosewood - I rarely like maple necks. :meh:

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Maybe this one:
    [​IMG]

or this one:
    [​IMG]

or this one:
    [​IMG]

or this one:
    [​IMG]

8. Isn't that a similar neck to a Marcus Miller bass?

BTW I like your avatar pilotjones. Population: tyre. :D

9. I think rosewood looks better with the white/tort color scheme. That what I have on my MIJ fretless Jazz.

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The MMs have white pearl blocks. The Geddy Lees though have (painted on) black blocks.

SB should be getting a new bass today :) (But not me though :( )

11. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Here's a white Signature Jazz body after I installed a Mighty Mite fretless neck. I opted for the unlined Ebonal fretboard, and I could not be happier. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it has a tort pickguard. I get more comments about this bass than I do over my Geddy or my trans blue Jazz.

[​IMG]

12. SWEET! How do you find the Ebonal fingerboards? I have an old P-bass kit bass that I'd like to convert to fretless and I was considering ebonal, but I'd like to get some feedback about it first.

13. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    So far I like it alot. I've only had it for a few weeks, but I really like the tone that I get from it. Since it's harder than a rosewood board, I get a little more brightness from it. The neck itself was easy to install and get set up. The truss rod adjustment was a piece of cake, and it plays really well. For the price of the neck, I think it was a really good deal.

14. maple is eww (if we're talking looks).

15. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I hate the sound of maple fingerboards. But I do think they look much better on some basses but for me the sound outweighs the looks. I really like the 3rd neck that pilotjones posted. If you do like maple the 2nd one is really cool too.