Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"White Label" remixes/bootlegs.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jan 18, 2002.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    (Perhaps this ought to be in 'Off Topic', so feel free to move it Mods. I'm not sure where this subject belongs.)

I don't know if anyone in the US had heard of this, but there's a surge of popularity recently in the UK of what are called "white labels". Basically, somebody make a bootleg remix by taking the backing music of one song and overlaying the vocals from another song, often with interesting results. These often turn up in clubs, but are not available commercially, because record companies have a fit about this sort of thing. I thought I'd investigate this phenomenon on the 'net and ended up downloading two tracks which are excellent!

Christina Aguilera vs The Strokes: 'A Stroke Of Genie-us'
    The vocals from Aguilera's 'Genie In A Bottle' over The Strokes' 'Hard To Explain'! It really makes a great song!

Nirvana vs Destiny's Child: 'Smells Like Teen Booty'
    The music of 'Teen Spirit' with the vocals from 'Bootylicious'

I don't know how long this sort of thing has been going on for, but has it gained any popularity in the States? Does anyone have any favourite "white label" mixes?

David