Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

White Lines gets pretty darn fast

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gabu, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Sheesh!

I can play that G based riff imbetween the stanza and chorus only at 70% of the speed (measured by slowblast!)... when I try to go faster I feel like my freakin' fingers will fly off!

Okay, back to practicing it now.... :p

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Gabu, what on earth are you talking about?

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    That rap song! by.. whoo hmm
    Curtis blow.. no wait let me see..
    i dunno who its buy.. but its that rap song from the early 80s
    ah yeah.. grandmaster flash!
    "white lines" *Dances*

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Doh! My frustration got the best of me.

It's a song called White Lines by Grandmaster Flash. I mostly listen to Duran Duran's version though.

I can play it ... but not at speed. I had been working on it about an hour when I posted (vented) :) ... I have not played it today. Perhaps I will work on it some more tomorrow... My fingers need rest! :D

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I know what thats like....I'm learning classical thump(victor wooten) right now....I know the whole song....mostly...the tapping and strumming lines he does in certain parts are so insanely strange that I'm just at a loss....but the problem is I'm learning this song so I'll have a really complex impressive song to do for my scholarship audition tape for berklee school of music
    so far I'm planning to do classical thump and Portrait of tracy.....I may end up cutting classical thump short due to time limitations(the tape is due by july 1st...I should want to have it finished by june 25th or so)
    I've got my work cut out for me....yesterday my thumb ached so bad I could hardly play(one of the first times thats ever happened :)

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I will have to download this song and give it a listen and maybe try and learn it. That is if I can find a copy of it.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    White lines get me pretty hyper too.

Wait, are we talking about music? :)

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Duran Duran's version really kicks butt. The whole cover album "Thank You" shows how talently the band really is.