white noise thingy and bad volume

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingray, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Stingray

May 12, 2000
    i have just recently begun recording with Cakewalk: Sonar. it is a great program and i like its interface but every tim i record i get a hissy white noise sound coming from the recording nothing sounds clean at all. and worst of all every time i record i have to set my recording level so level so low that i can barely here myself, if i dont i get that breaking up rumbley cracky tone that happens when you pass the red mark on the recording level bars how do i fix these please help.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    As for the hissy white noise... what is your recording chain? Do you just plug your bass into your sound card and sit by your monitor and play? Then there will be hiss.

Which sound card do you have? Which input are you plugging into? We need to know more.

The crackling sound that you get for passing the red mark in Sonar comes from the signal clipping. Digital clipping gives nasty distortion and it does not sound nice at all. If this happens, your recording level is too hot, lower it.

That your recordings are noisy have nothing to do with your software, but with how you're connected to the hardware, and also what hardware you're connected to.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You probably use the mic in, which has a +20dB volume boost option. With the Soundblaster Live for example it's enabled by default which is ridiculous IMO.

My advice: Always use the line in instead of the mic in, because it's usually more quiet.

In any case, disable the volume boost.
    You can do this in the Windows mixer applet in Windows control center.

Another tip: Sonar works best with WDM drivers.
    If you work with Windows 98SE, Me, 2k or XP, try to get WDM drivers for your card.
    You'll get superlow latency with Sonar that way.
  4. Stingray

May 12, 2000
    yes i do sit by my computer with it plugged into the sound card does sitting to close efect it. im not sure what sound card its like ess or something.

how do i change the digital clipping and get louder recordings.