1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"White-on-white Crime": My first modded P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RCCollins, Apr 14, 2010.

1. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    a couple months ago i picked up a new MIM P-bass for cheap with the intention of customizing it. Well, last night I drank too much pepsi and decided to break down and do it. What a blast!

Attached are a "before" and "after" picture. The cosmetic mods are obvious: chrome bridge cover, white pickup covers and tugbar. The drilling went much more smoothly than I had expected.

Under the hood, I swapped out the stock pickup for a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 with a vintage-style grounding plate and added a .1uF orange drop tone capacitor.

discontinued-formula fender 9050 flatwounds and a foam mute under the bridge complete the picture. plug into the Buster 2x15 stack and voila! smooth, old-school P-bass sound.

i melted.

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Much improved to my eyes, nice job! Fender flats went New Coke?

3. thats really cool man, i would love to hear before and after audio. just wondering why is the tug-bar on that side of the strings? i like to rest my thumb on it while playing finger-style.

4. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    thanks man! yeah, apparently fender ceased string production in mexico and are working with another stateside string producer. big thread about it in strings. i'm afraid to try the new ones - anybody got a spare pack of old school 9050s lying around for me? :D

it's mostly cosmetic; that's the original "vintage" tugbar position. I play moving-anchor fingerstyle.

i've been messing around with thumbing off the tugbar, though, and it has potential for country, though it's difficult to get much volume that way

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    That is a beautiful bass. But where's the tort? Sorry, couldn't help myself. :bag: Actually, the white/white/white looks tres cool.

6. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i do like white/tort but you see those all the time!