1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

White-on-White P-Bass - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowbrow, Sep 14, 2008.

1. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I had a P/J done in all white with a Pearloid guard and it was very pretty but just not "me" and at first I was going to go with a Tort guard which I thinks looks the best on white but I decided to change color schemes altogether and had it re-finished in all black with pearl blocks and I like it much better now.

George

2. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I've got similar "problem" with Jazzes. I have Jazz in olympic white with tort pickguard, but at the same time I want whole white one. I guess I'd have to buy another one ;)

3. tinder

tinder

Apr 29, 2008
    Dundee, Scotland
    It's nice...but it would be nicer with Black pickguard screws to compliment the black pup covers:hyper:

4. I like it.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Disco!

6. tigerbass

tigerbass Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    I think it looks sharp. I have a thing for white pearloid though, that would look killer on a white bass...never thought of it till now! I have that on my Geddy and on a sage green Jazz.

7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    All your opinions and observances are greatly appreciated and helpful in forming my decision -- with the 'lil albino P on a stand beside me, I proclaim this bass permanently white until such time as I change my friggin' mind.

Thanks again, friends.

And if I may hijack for a moment --
    Thanks, but the compliment belongs to your band's sound, Tigerbass -- a nice surprise to get that Secret Treaties tingle in 2008, much liked.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

That's all that matters. I'd prefer a black guard, but that's your bass, not mine!

9. BBBruno

BBBruno

Sep 17, 2005
    Milford, CT
    For a white P Bass, I prefer gold anodized (goes great with any color) or red tortoise, as on my '62 reissue.

Bart

Attached Files:

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I love white Fender basses, they bring to (my)mind Dee Murray, Brian Wilson, and John Lodge.
    fenpjlhwh1.
    jazzwht5.

11. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    My friend has an arctic white P with a white PG. Every time I walk past it I say something like "What is that...a fleet van?" or "What is that...nurse's shoes?" Cracks me up every time. Him, not so much.

I think it looks pretty good on oly. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I do like it. It has the fact that it's uncommon going for it too.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.

+1

13. Looks pretty damn good to me. Go for it.

14. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

I always wanted to do the same thing to honor Brian Wilson as well. But the tort will look totally awesome on the white too...
    )-(

15. doktorfeelgood

How are you going to adjust the truss rod? )-(

16. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Funny you should ask as I just did so this evening.
    Answer: Involves 13 little screws and a bit of patience!

Fact is, I want to stay with the parchment, so I'll maybe graduate to a Fender factory guard some day.

17. doktorfeelgood

I knew that was one answer...lol I'm considering getting a Stew-Mac tort guard for my Highway 1 Jazz bass and I'll be faced with the same dilema. Nice guard...4 ply tort/mint/black/mint at .100 thickness but no notch for the trussrod adjustment. And only $23 bucks. If I do get it, I'll probably put a notch in it myself. I don't want to have to take it off every time I need to adjust the TR. But that's just me. I have the tools and have done it before so it's no a big thing.
    Fender actually makes a tort guard with that notch for their new American Standard series Jazz basses. I called them and got a part number but it will be thicker than the Stew-Mac one and more expensive I'm sure...even if I can find someone who will order it for me. Still a nice looking bass you have there. )-(

18. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Classic!
    Long live Brian Wilson!

19. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Sure Fender guards are more expensive -- but rather than seeking a dealer who'll order one for you, you can just go here: http://www.allparts.com/store/fender-reg-factory-parts,category.asp

20. tigerbass

tigerbass Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Thanks for the compliment Lowbrow. We are all secret BOC heads, and love doing obscure references like that. We cover Workshop of the Telescopes, ME 262, Flaming Telepaths, and Heavy Metal (black and silver) and 99.9% of people think they are originals! ;) We used to be called Desdinova in the 90's.