white pickup covers, rosewood, black pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hambone1, Jul 31, 2009.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    I wanted you guys opinion on this color scheme?

I am getting a honeyburst stingray. I am planning on painting the pickup covers white. THen I will be switching between black and white pickguards?

Anyone done this or have an opinion.

2. hey, my old stingray 5 came with white pickup covers from the factory. is this rare or something? can you not order them and skip the painting?

l_4a8b8dada0d3ad46dffb8d3f3263f22a.png

not me in the pic, this is the guy i sold it to.

3. Yes, and yes.

I'm a sucker for white pickup covers, but not on every bass I own. Even non-musicians notice them. Nice change of pace, great aesthetic enhancement, easy to do, easy to reverse.

4. White pickup covers work well in certain schemes, especially those with a black PG:

IMG_0824.jpg

(I've taken the UGA clings off since I took the picture).

However, I'd be reluctant to paint the pickup covers as I think the paint would wear off after a short time and the black would show through.

I don't think EBMM sells the white covers separately, but you may be able to find some on ebay at some point. They are an option, and there should be some floating around.

5. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    Ernie ball does'nt supply them. There is one aftermarket company I know of and I need to contact them. I am just trying to decide between a rosewood or maple neck on my bass.

With black covers I like the rosewood neck but with white covers I like the maple. However, I 'm thinking the white covers would look good on both. Also if I do paint them I was thinking of getting a pearloid pickguard. So my two versions would be: pearloid white covers or black pickguard white covers.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I don't think the white paint on that type of plastic will hold up at all.

With the single pickup SR5, if you ordered a white pickguard, then it would have come with a white pickup as well.
    But the dual pickups basses and the SR4 only come with black.

DSC04343.jpg

7. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Honeyburst Stingrays look great with white covers!

[​IMG]