Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matthew West, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Please discuss here.

One of the best albums of 2001, and I bet no one else here has even heard it.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Guilty as charged...I have never heard of it. What kind of music is it? Let's hear more about what makes it an excellent album. Maybe I've missed something really important.

You may be just confirming my long held belief that the BEST music seldom gets the notice it deserves, but instead is crowded out by music pushed by mass media and giant entertainment conglomerates.

3. in the UK the White Stripes are probably the most over-hyped band of 2001. (even more hype than The Strokes)
    the music press here claims that they're revolutionary in their stripped-down approach to rock.

they say they've signed a million-dollar record deal.

personally I don't see what's so great about them- they sound like The Violent Femmes but without bass- just guitar/vocals and drums.

they were on Later with Jools Holland, and also TOTP playing Hotel Yorba- they just didn't live up to the hype.
    the Emperor's new clothes IMHO, I'm afraid.

that's right -NO BASS!

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Curiosity about the band led me to Amazon.com for some sound bites. I have to confess they are not my taste in any way, but I have to hand it to them for managing to sound like an entire garage band/roots rock group with only two members. Furthermore, the duet consists of a guy and his ex-wife!! That was totally unexpected.

Reviews written by fans of the band were glowing, but oddly enough, most were from England.

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hmm,
    I have to agree with Matthew.
    I saw them on Jools Hollands show and I couldn't get that damn song out of my head so I went and bought White Blood Cells.
    I like it!!
    Compared to some of the manufactured crap that's around at the moment - this is a very refreshing album indeed.
    :p

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    IMO snore........

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If the music rags' "10 Best" lists are anything to go by, everyone's heard of it.

Personally, I don't see the big deal. Seems like the indier-than-thou crowd are just trying to seek out new life and new civilizations. Or maybe the critics are blown away by the fact that you don't need a boob job, choreographer and a boob job to make decent music.

But IMO "White Blood Cells" isn't any better than the Shaggs' crappy, semi-ironic re-release.

8. They don't have a bass player, so talkbass is not the best place to talk about them. I used to live in Detroit, and occassionally heard them. They suck, and no two ways about it. There are some really good bands in Detroit. I don't know how these guys got on top of the hype machine.

9. ?!

I love the Strokes, and even I think they're over-hyped (and a little overrated).

10. Crawl back under your hole.