Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who’s the King?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Sure there’s been a million threads on best/favorite/funkiest/heaviest/etc…but what one bassist has got it all? Okay, so I was watching American Idol on T.V. and it got me thinking about “the total package” - the fact that to be a star one needs more than just talent alone. Sure you’ve got to be able to play great, but you also need the ability to engage your audience, your looks do count, famous people should make good role models for their young fans, to really be special you’ve gotta be unique, and to be called great you’d better be versatile too. So this thread isn’t just about the best bass player – I want to consider other factors along with playing ability. As much as I enjoy the amazing technical ability of certain players, their music (often jazz) might not be my cup of tea and I can’t get into it. So, what bassist, from the past or present, do you think has it all? Who is the most appealing to the masses? Please give extra points for singing, (even more for singing well), songwriting, dancing, style (on & off stage), good public image, longevity, charm and whatever else you think makes a player a real super star. I think that a certain Knight from England could easily walk away with this, but personally my vote for king has got to go to Bootsy! IMO Bootsy has got it all. What a player, what a career, what an entertainer.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    May I be the first to say...

...Jaco...

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Not saying I'm big fans of any of these people, but I think some names on the ballot should be Gene Simmons and Sting. Actually I don't like either of them...Les Claypool and Flea should be up there as well I think due to 5 million 15 year olds trying to be just like them.:p

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Even though I don't care for a lot of his work: Paul McCartney.