1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who’s your Favorite Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Helix, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Im my younger years I would have to say it was JPJ or Geddy, but now I'd say Robert, mostly because of what he did with ST and Infectious

Rob.

Who's yours?

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    didn't I ever tell you? you're my favourite bass player.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Jack Casady.

JackCasadyStarfire1. e15b14f71430c3542c262dfed78947d8. JackCasadySignatureBass4.

4. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Thank you Rufus.....and your one of my favorites to :)

Old Blastard and rufus.K like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

too many to list. mostly jazz cats. i'll say jaco (today's choice!) just to play.

SwitchGear, gebass6 and Helix like this.
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It's Geddy. Not the guy I listen to the most. Not the best bassist. Not even the guy with the coolest sound. But Geddy Lee is STILL my favorite bassist. Maybe it's his nose. That is a GREAT nose!

7. Gunther

Gunther SUSPENDED

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    Trujillo has evolved into one of electric bass' heaviest hitter. He heard Jaco's word so eloquently expressed in the film "Jaco," IMHO the most important documentary of the time when musicians ran the music industry.

DrayMiles, hintz and Helix like this.
  8. Gunther

Gunther SUSPENDED

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    I don't have one favorite. So many bags, so many stars. For the funk who might I reference? Louis Satterfield? Jamerson? Rainey for his complete sweetness and warmth? Jemmott for his riveting in your face blistering funk? Buck Owen's wonderful, straight to point, utterly musical Doyle Holly? Phil Lesh who's sound on the bass is transcendental, swirling and mesmerizing? Everyone might agree Jaco Pastorius was truly the most revolutionizing of all 20th century electric bassists. But there's Mark Egan who kills me long past the Pat Metheny Group into international spotlight. And others on a very long list. Ah, crap. Must through Willie Dixon in this list. What made Dixon great is what made all these others great. Another discussion for another time, perhaps.

I fear now 45 years of hip-hop the human element of those I've listed above have not translated well if at all to newer generations.

9. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Me. I love everything that I have ever done.

After that, from time to time I have been inspired by a lot of different musicians. I respect that they have their own struggles, goals, and successes. But I am my favorite!

10. All around? Probably wooten.

Swerve and Dumpster Funk like this.
  11. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    I'm right with you

I'm probably straying a little off my own topic here, but I'm pretty happy about the bassist that I've become over the last 35 years. I think I've done a pretty good job of incorporating all my influences over that time.

There's a saying "All I wanted was people to say "Man that guy can play" and I think I've accomplished that......I think

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    kesslari, Glenn Mac, Sixgunn and 3 others like this.
  12. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    so many and i am bad with names some already mentioned all the different types of music have my favorites.
    One relay impressed me just saw him one time never knew his name. It was at a pizza/ bar in indy called Crazy Alls back in 75. there was like a jazz blues club in indy and would have just about anybody that came in town play. This guy starts to play and just blew me away. think just that one night affected my style. never heard anything like it again. But were mostly just jam sessions for all i know it could have been someone quite famous. There was a guy in there playing a horn one night that looked like AL hurt.

Helix likes this.
  13. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Too many to narrow it down to just one...but today I'm going to say Alphonso Johnson, for his work with Weather Report and Jazz Is Dead.

Novarocker, seang15, gebass6 and 2 others like this.
  14. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have to say Joe Osborn. When I was growing up I knew nothing about bass, but the first tunes I dug back in 2nd grade (1966) were all Joe Osborn bass lines.

As I grew up, I'd love tunes that were out of my rock and country wheelhouse like Carpenters, Helen Reddy, 5th Dimension it turned out that all of those tunes had one thing in common....Joe Osborn.

So when I'm gigging and we get grooving and I'm playing without thinking, I think it's more Joe coming out of my fingers than any of my other influences.

15. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    Tommy Shannon.

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Me

17. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Banned

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    I don't really have one specific bass player that stands out as my favorite one.

Give me a top 10 and maybe I would be able to come up with something, though still in no specific order.

When that is said Justin Chancellor from Tool and Trevor Dunn from Mr. Bungle comes to mind.

Justin Chancellor excels at making really catchy rousing and rather melodic bass lines, even in quite strange meters with complex rhythm structures, and this without them ever loosing any sense of groove or heft. He probably have one of the best bass tones I ever heard too.
    tool-justin-chancellor.

Trevor Dunn is just an extremely gifted bass player that probably could fit into any genre of music if he wanted, though I have deep respect for him mainly sticking to the more avantgarde and experimental end of the spectrum.
    2a4269d89e12b52c96c81993282fde9c--sideshow-lol. Erarta_trevor11_1.

Jack Casady is absolutely a killer bass player too, and probably one of my favorites as well from the older generation of players.

Jefferson Airplane was a great band.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Swerve, MacMiahans, admh1972 and 4 others like this.
  18. For me to pick just one bassist as a favorite when so many have influenced and inspired me is difficult but Stanley Clarke stands tall in the crowd. Because he has such skill on both electric and acoustic bass, able to play deep grooves, blistering unison lines and amazing solos. Because of his career as a band member, sideman and solo artist. Because of his skill as a composer, arranger and producer.

19. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    A couple of young guys I was playing with asked me that a couple years ago. I thought about it and said, “Me, muthaf#%~*r.”

Mr.Ace and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Tony Levin