1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who’s your Favorite Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Helix, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FZ2017

FZ2017

Jul 15, 2017
    Does anybody on here have the jaco pastorius modern electric bass book? I saw that the DVD by itself is 26 and the book with the DVD is 20 but it doesn't say if it's the full dvd version. I'm sceptical about buying the cheaper book with dvd because it seems to good to be true. Any thoughts?

2. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    Janek Gwizdala is my new bass-god. he has the feel, tone, melodicism, and chordal knowledge that i want. super inspiring guy

3. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    BB23EFC2-0EE2-4B41-A287-F30E4C381932-182-0000001AF288B91D. Currently I'd say Tommy Stinson. I have about 4 or 5 main influences that reflect my playing. It's not so much my own style as it's just a little from each influence rolled into a ball and that what I get. For example I never thought a pick should be anywhere near a bass and now for the last 3 1/2 years I've only use a pick. Dee Dee Ramone is the reason why. So when it comes to Tommy Stinson he has influenced me in more ways the one. The replacements and GNR Chinese Democracy album/songs I had to learn all by ear. It really helped develope my ear and how to learn bass lines without YouTube vids or tabs. There's not to many tabs for the replacements songs or Chinese Democracy. Also his tone is he tone I've always herd in my head and I've worked my way to that gritty Grindr tone.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    zachoff likes this.
  4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    If I have to choose one.....

6b9f21f5-abraham-laboriel-sr.

Jborg and Tobiasfin like this.
  5. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    Way too many great bassists to pick just one, so I'll chose one of them who rarely gets mentioned and who is unique with his lines. And that would be none other than Aston "Family Man" Barrett.

Tobiasfin likes this.
  6. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    My favorite 3 string bassist is Viorel Vlad of the Taraf De Haidouks band. Check him out on You Tube. A good place to begin is the video Balkan Gypsy Folk Music by Pavel Levin. There style of music is a mixture of Romanian folk music, Gypsy music and classical. They are fantastic band.

Tobiasfin likes this.
  7. wacky91

wacky91

Apr 9, 2018
    Georgia
    im new to this world, so right now the guy that inspired me to learn the bass.
    Aram Bedrosian 697b208da331d940d888a607089150c6_original.

4StringAxe and Tobiasfin like this.
  8. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    The bassists that made the biggest impression on me are John Giblin w/ Kate Bush, Paul Webb - Talk Talk, Mark Likley -ABC, Mick Karn, and Derek Forbes - Simple Minds. (Clearly the fretless Wal is a sound that made a deep impression on me growing up) Later on I'd say Stuart Zender and Scott Lafaro.

Pendulous likes this.
  9. Hillbillypolack

Hillbillypolack

Mar 2, 2018
    Just started listening to Jane's Addiction's first two albums (again). Amazing the lines Eric Avery brings to the table. Summertime Rolls has always been a fave with that haunting intro and Navarro's distant guitar.

10. arthurasmith

arthurasmith

Jan 14, 2018
    Nick Rosaci is absolutely great!!!

11. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Eric Wilson circa 90's Sublime.

And I've not smoked pot in years!

I just genuinely love Eric's bass lines.

descendent22 and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  12. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Steve DiGiorgio
    Paul D'Amour (reason I even noticed or wanted to play bass)
    Kev Hopper
    Geddy
    Squire

13. My favs were always the classic rockers I grew up with..
    Jack Bruce, JPJ, Berry Oakley.
    Since my bass journey evolved I am discovering Jamerson and Jemmott.
    There are just too many great players.

Doctor Intrepid and Chaz Ellison like this.
  14. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    What about all of the jazz bassists from the fifty's? Sam Jones, Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Milt Hinton, Charles Mingus, Oscar Pettiford, etc. Their musical knowledge and abilities were way beyond most of today's music. No comparison in my opinion.

Jborg likes this.
  15. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Hotel California to me is a bass groove above all else--and a damn good one!

16. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Willie Weeks! . . . and McCartney and Jameson. And the dap kings guy.

17. Krist Novoselic. Nirvana will probably always be my favorite band and he did everything he was supposed to and sometimes more for that band.

18. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Jack Casady

19. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    My 60 year old neighbor plays big band music on an upright bass. I asked him who his favorite bassist is and he said "Me". I wish I could say the same for myself.

20. So many for me.

Deon Estus, Jamerson, John McVie, Bernard Edwards, flea, Mark King, Johnette Napolitano, Benjamin Orr, Vail Johnson, Kip Winger (anyone paying attention LOL)

Tobiasfin likes this.