Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who actually manufactures strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jrock111, Nov 16, 2002.

1. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I read somewhere that most of the major brands don't manufacture their own strings and that there is small handful of companys that makes strings for everyone else. I know higher end brands like Pyramid and T-I probably make their own, but who else does? Just curious.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm positive that Rotosound and D'Addario make their own - other than that, I can't say!

I remember when Trace Elliot strings were available - it turns out that they were made in the US using Swedish steel! Not bad for a UK company!

3. There are lots of manufacturers who make their own strings and also contract to manufacture custom spec strings for people who market them under their own label. D'Addario, D'Aquisto, Labella, SIT, Dean Markley, Rotosound, GHS, Ernie Ball, DR, among others, manufacture strings. Alembic strings, for example, are made to Alembic's spec by a contracted manufacturer. That doesn't mean that Alembic strings are necessarily any better (or any worse) than D'Addario strings, it just means that Alembic doesn't own the machinery to manufacture their own strings and has somebody else make strings to their specifications (type of alloy, core shape, etc.).

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've done some research on this subject, and I can add Everly and Fender as manufacturers, Everly in the U.S., and Fender in Mexico. Alembic buys the wire for their strings and supplies it to the winder, and noone else has access to it, according to Mica Wickersham. Fodera also makes strings in their shop. Ken Smith told me that their strings are contracted out (apparently to someone pretty good), but inspected and packaged at his facility. Mike Tobias told me that his strings are contracted out as well.

One manufacturer (I think it was GHS, but I'm not sure now) told me they make more than 100 brands! So that indicates that there are a lot of private label strings out there.

There are, I'm sure, some manufacturers I've forgotten, but I think the majors are represented here.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've been wanting to try some Status strings. They're quite proud of the fact they make their own strings.

The only bugger is the only way I can find to get some so far is to have them sent from England.