Who all is GIGGING with BIG IRON? Tube Amps! Ampeg/Orange/HiWatt/You Name It

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kickysam49, Aug 9, 2022.

1. kickysam49

kickysam49 World Heavyweight Champion Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2022
    MA
    I want to know:
    1) What kind of tube amps are you gigging?
    2) What kind of gigs are you using them for?
    3) How do you manage volume in various venues, and is the amp friendly around changes in master volume?
    4) What are you using for cabs?
    5) Mic? DI? Neither? Both?
    6) How is transportation?
    7) How do they sound? Pedals?
    8) And pics, please!

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    1.) Usually one of the top three on the left.

[​IMG]

2.) For my cover/GB group it’s usually the orange. The Science for one specific original band, the DCA for another.

3.) I tend to run them more vintage style, master high and adjust the preamp gain for level, but it depends. The master on the science is very clean and even through the sweep, at least compared to some others. The orange I feel is more sensitive to MV settings but still workable to dial it around if needed. The DCA is a very clean and loud amp on channel 2.

4.) The cover group gigs the most frequently and I usually pair the orange with a berg NXV210.

[​IMG]

I have a matching custom 212 for the science

[​IMG]

5.) Depends on the venue, small enough places I can generally carry with the amp/cab. I keep a countryman type 85 in my bag for if I need a DI. The science has an OT tapped line out which can also feed a DI. I’ve been using a captor X at home and have a cab model similar to my custom 212, and have downloaded the berg NXV IR pack among others. I haven’t tried using the captor live, though I’d like to at some point. We have some bigger gigs this fall with provided sound which I may use to test this out.

6.) fine. I have road cases for everything, which add a little volume and weight for transport, but especially for the cover gigs I’m also transporting much of our PA system and I have a hand cart so it’s not that much more equipment than bringing a little solid state amp. If I’m playing upright I don’t bring the tube amps, at that point in maxing out space in the car with the bass. Otherwise it’s not an issue.

7.) Awesome, thanks for asking. Pedals depends on the band/gig. My originals bands yes, the cover group no.

3. Mostly Fender Super Bassman and AD200B....Sometimes a V4B reissue.

All of my gigs.. jazz, blues, rock.

As above post. Run master volume high, adjust with gain. I think these 3 tube amps sound great at low volume too.

Into a Bergantino HG410 or Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115 or 2.
    Sometimes a NV215

Either DI or it's just the amp. Rarely mic it. I have a Radial JDI (I think it is) if I need for between the amp and cab

Transportation is fine. I have soft covers for the amps, and cabs.
    If access to stage area is difficult, I take a Bergantino B|Amp.

Don't usually use any pedals. If I want drive etc, just adjust the amp.

They sound superb!

20201205_205853.jpg 20220416_222541.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  4. squish

squish Nothing TOO fancy Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    1) What kind of tube amps are you gigging? - SVT-II
    2) What kind of gigs are you using them for? - Club and festival shows with an originals band
    3) How do you manage volume in various venues, and is the amp friendly around changes in master volume? - My guys like the thud that my pbass w flats make so I keep the volume high
    4) What are you using for cabs? - mostly been 810s
    5) Mic? DI? Neither? Both? - both
    6) How is transportation? - the clubs own the 810s so I just schlep the 70 lb head wrapped in a custom padded vinyl case
    7) How do they sound? Pedals? - no pedals. Sounds as it should which is huge and bad ass.
    8) And pics, please! - I look a lil brain-hungry
    tempImage53gFEZ.png

5. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Arizona
    Orange AD200B and two OBC115’s. Bass’s are Reverend Rumblefish Jazz’s.
    The head is heavy but manageable, same as the cabs, but I installed caster wheels to help out with that. I play in a modern day “ Police “ style original band with some “ Killers “ sprinkled in the set. It provides more volume than I will ever need and that includes large venues. I have not mic’d my cabs, but use a Countryman DI between the head and cabs. I use a few pedals and the AD200B accepts them well! Very, Very, Very, Extremely happy with this setup!!!

44ACDA10-2840-4A7B-BA34-BB681CBD273E.jpeg
    ( this pic is before I put caster wheels on )

6. Doug P

Doug P

Nov 26, 2008
    395D5063-DF32-4C53-BC51-D71D05A911EE.png 7B36FBD5-A06B-45C2-98B0-87CA9C61A871.png 048BD57B-F8BA-483B-85AA-461D55910442.png

Two rigs,
    Ampeg:
    One or two 8x10’s or a 4x10
    SVT-CL
    GK:
    RBH cabs
    700 rb II’s
    Rack:
    See pic
    DI:
    Radial JDX -48

7. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida

Fender Super Bassman 300

Dive bars, larger bars, rock clubs, indoor or outdoor festivals, private community dance.

3) How do you manage volume in various venues, and is the amp friendly around changes in master volume?

Very friendly. Typically I’ll adjust the master, but it’s always between 4 and 6. Preamp volume stays about 5.

One or two Bergantino CN212. Mostly one.

Have done all the above, depending on which venue.

Easy-peasy. Toyota Camry (hoopty) is my no-care gig-mobile. Amp, cabs, pedalboard in the boot. Basses on and I front of the back seat.

Most of my pedals are utilitarian, to correct venue EQ. My effect pedal is a Source Audio C4, and it sounds amazing.

8) And pics, please!

B0673FFE-FD27-47D6-A1AB-F4B5C78A814A.jpeg

Doug P, DJ Bebop, Murch and 12 others like this.
  8. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    I want to know:
    Meatsmoke (below). I have my Orange Terrorbass 1000 as a backup.
    rig.jpg

[​IMG]
    Clubs, bars, house shows, upcoming fest.

So we have a pretty standard no sound (beyond PA) level set, which is based on our drummer's sound floor (he hits hard). At places with sound, I'll just follow the sound person's guidance, and leave it there unless I can't hear myself or my guitarist or drummer asks to turn up - this only happens with inexperienced sound people. The only difficulty is the clean channel and the OD channel have independent master volumes, so I gotta play that by ear.

Either of my Decibel cabs - the 412 (big boy) or the 215. Both are neos, the big boy is sub 100lbs, the 215 is sub 70. I make the call before we load as to which I'll use.

Depends on the situation. With sound, I've done both. The MS has a Jenson pre tube driven DI.

We have a Van, so no problem - but I can also fit both (one at a time) in my personal vehicle.

They sound stellar! I use a variety of pedals and they all sound killer through the rig.

8) And pics, please!

Poobini, DJ Bebop, Murch and 6 others like this.
  9. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Ince in a great while I'll bring out my Strategy Eight 88 but normally, I bring one of my Class D heads.
    Screenshot_20210810-175051_Gallery.jpg

20180223_080330.jpg

10. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    1) 90s Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+
    2) everything. Currently punkish R&B/pub rock. Mostly small clubs and/or DIVE bars with weak pa support.
    3) volume isn’t an issue. It sounds great at low volume and has enough power to keep up with just about anything.
    4) 90s Mesa/Boogie Diesel 410
    5) whichever the sound man prefers.
    6) It’s a heavy setup, but I’m a big guy with a truck so it’s not too bad.
    7) Sounds killer on its own, takes pedals beautifully. I only use an od because I like to switch between clean and dirty. The Mesa preamp gets a nice grit at any volume.
    8) here’s a pic from a gig I played last Sunday. 6704F588-149E-4286-A39B-DAF56AD7CCFD.jpeg

rhythmwiz, kesslari, Doug P and 13 others like this.
  11. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    I def am interested in getting a Science Mother at some point... such a cool head.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I love my CN212 but most of the time I can get the volume I need from the little 210 so I don’t bring it out unless it’s a big outdoor stage. I’d love to have a stage where I could crank up a tube amp with a pair of those though. The berg cabs pair so well with tube amps.

13. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Fender Bassman 100T. Ampeg PF-50T.

Original barrel-house blues band playing anything from small clubs to festivals.

I like to push the amps, so I choose the amp and the cabs according to size of venue and how hard I want the amp to work. If I'm not familiar with the stage/venue I'll take the Bassman 100T as it will work in either 25 or 100 watt mode. I've never been underpowered yet, but I carry a 200 watt class D head in my gig bag for just such an eventuality. Don't understand about the master volume question. Neither amp objects to me adjusting master volume.

I've got 2 Ampeg PF-115HE 1x15's, and the Fender 410Neo 4x10. So depending on size of venue, and how hard I want the amp to work, I have 25, 50 or 100 watt power options that I can match with 1 1x15, 2 1x15's, or the 4x10.

Both amps have post-output transformer DI's which I insist go to FOH.

All variations fit easily in a Honda CRV.

I wouldn't be dragging these boat anchors around if they didn't sound great! Since I went low-powered tube 10 years ago, I'm getting the best sound I've ever had in 56 years of playing. The only effect I use is overdrive, which the Bassman has a great foot-switchable overdrive channel. I use an overdrive pedal with the PF-50T, can't even tell you what it is. The amps get the power tube grunt I want naturally. I only use the overdrive on a couple songs.

8) And pics, please!
    New used PF-115HE - 8 of 8.jpeg HOB 12-17-19 - 12 of 16 2.jpeg
    RIK_7452 2.jpg

Attached Files:

lildrgn, Murch, rodl2005 and 10 others like this.
  14. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    Maybe not “big iron” since it’s probably one of the lightest tube amps but I’m using a Mesa Prodigy 4:88.

Playing mostly bars, some outdoor gigs.

Haven’t had any issues with volume.

Using either a Bergantino CN212 or Ampeg 810, depending on venue.

DI only, no Mics.

Transportation is pretty easy, I think it only weighs about 30 lbs.

Sounds great, I use a Tech 21 YYZ, but it will get plenty of grit by itself when it’s turned up enough.

Kind of hard to see, but you can see the blue lights glowing on top of the CN212.

B5C95EA2-7F86-4CA1-8850-618DFAF1F803.jpeg

Murch, rodl2005, Marko 1 and 6 others like this.
  15. 1) What kind of tube amps are you gigging? SWR SM-900 (embarassed to say, have an extra one as backup)
    2) What kind of gigs are you using them for? Everything. If the venue is small / jazz, I use a GK M150/S112.
    3) How do you manage volume in various venues, and is the amp friendly around changes in master volume? Very friendly amp, ton of headroom.
    4) What are you using for cabs? SWR Goliath Sr. 6x10
    5) Mic? DI? Neither? Both? Depending on the venue, mostly DI.
    6) How is transportation? Van, but I also drive an SUV so moving them is not a problem. Need to visit the chyropractor every now and then.
    7) How do they sound? Pedals? Absolutely transparent, you must play flawless. MXR envelope and octave.
    8) And pics, please!

Amp rig and warwick.jpg

rodl2005, kickysam49, Marko 1 and 4 others like this.
  16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I own three Mesa tube amps: 400, Strategy, and Prodigy.
    The Prodigy being only 29lbs is the one I mostly take. I typically just DI, but if I use alot of fx the soundpeople have tended to mic. Mesas have always taken pedals excellently.
    Volume is whatever the club needs.

As for gigs: covers club gigs, corporate, and I have and can still do originals.

I have always been a pickup (truck) man, so I transport myself everywhere.

Attached Files:

17. Little non-iron...

20220610_100703.jpg

It has a tube and the head is 800 watts, 300 in this configuration.
    All gigs. Use volume knob. Sounds marvelous.

:)

18. I want to know:
    50 watt vintage PA head

Classic rock covers in small clubs and bars

It's close to max volume and if the room is bigger needs PA reinforcement but fairly clean b15 type tone.
    It really doesn't go louder just starts to fuzz up.

Boutique 2x12 sealed cab with emminence neo speakers by EB cabs

DI often, and sometimes Mic

Easy to move around, although not particularly road proof.
    Sounds very b15 ish
    8) And pics, please!
    [​IMG]

19. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Nary an Ashdown in the bunch?! C’mon…

kickysam49 and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. Everyone in here has amazing gear.

/drool