Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who and why: bassists and bands you dislike.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ashton, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well the biggest one for me is Slipknot. they have about 4 drummers, i dunno about their bassist though cause i cant hear him over all the other stuff.

BTW, notice how i said 'dislike', if you say hate in this thread i know where you sleep.....:eek:

keep it short, this is a place where you can say who you dont like and then leave it at that, no dissing anyone here.

Mods, keep an eye on this thread, ill report anyone who is being nasty :D

keep it civil, were all bassists here
    later
    Lukas

edited for spelling

2. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Ahem, slipknot has 1 drummer and 2 "percussionists".

3. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    same thing to me, and i really dont like the way they act or dress or any of their music. that my problem though.

later
    Lukas

4. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    hey Luke, i kinda like the slipknot percussion,

although, once you have heard one song you have heard em all.

band i dislike is limp bizkit, esp that fred,

and i also think that the clash, cut the crap is a really bad shokcing album,
    i had to wait ages to hear it cos i have it on vinyl, and had to borrow my grans record player to hear it, it is bad,
    just aswell i bought a mingus record (the clown) to make up for it

mmmmmmm;)

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Is this really necessary? All it does is making fans of any mentioned band or bassist upset.

6. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    it shouldnt make them upset, they should just argue their point!

7. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Can't say there are any bass players I really dislike it trends to be more a genre of music stuff like Drum 'n' Bass, Techno, trance, Corporate Pop (I'm talking britney spears, westlife, n'sync here) but more often than not I try and see what the genre is saying musically - D'n'B for example stripping music down, just giving the rhythm and the groove (at least to my mind).

Can anyone explain the corporate Pop though, the only thing I can think of is ripping off kids to make record execs rich :rolleyes:

Adios

Krakkers

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Danny Partridge - nuff said.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, speaking as a Marketing Consultant (which I am!) I can explain this phenomenon - but it seems to be very little to do with music as such.

What we have are adolescents who want to explore their sexuality, but in a "safe" way. So they can have crushes on fantasy figures that are acceptable to their peer groups, safe in the knowledge that they aren't going to be alone in this and also safe that they will never actually get involved with the physical sex and its inherent dangers/risks.

They get to explore their emotions and how they feel about the opposite sex, they bond with their friends/peer group and their parents know that there is no way they will actually have sex or a relationship with any of these fantasy figues and it focuses them away from having sex with the boy/girl next door - everybody's happy!! :D

Especially the Marketing people who know there are endless product opportunities to be had! :rolleyes:

10. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England

:D

ROTFLMAO!!!

Everything is clear now, the sun is shining, the world seems to make sense

Edit: I just realised whist being mildy amusing, this is also scarily true :eek:

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    A: "Fieldy sucks!"
    B: "I happen to like him."
    A: "Why!?"
    B: "I just do...?"

12. Bruce Lindfield

Of course - and the recent revelation that "Pop Idol" Will Young is gay, makes no difference at all as the whole thing is about fantasy and not fact anyway!

13. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    this is meant NOT to make fans upset, its a discussion board, not an argument board.

BTW, i dont think anyone on TB really likes pop music, britney, westlife, nsync.....ect. sure you have respect for them cause someone must like them for them to get that big but i myself dont hold them dearly.

when people ask me what sorta music i like i say that if a band plays their own instruments i will probably like them. not all bands that play their own instruments i like.

yeah, i got a friend earlier today to explain what a marketing consultant is and it seems like a real easy job. basically all you have to do is prey on the basic primal human instincts and make an industry on that and your a millionaire.

or something along those lines...
    later
    Lukas

14. Bruce Lindfield

Well...you're going to have to be able to express yourself more eloquently than that, to make your first million!! ;)

15. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i got a friend earlier today to explain exactly what a marketing consultant is and basically all you have to do is........dammit. ill never be a marketing consultant. :(

hehe, well ill just stick to my other job of becoming a world famous bass player for my many bands :D
    later
    Lukas

16. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah ...I've met a few people who are "world famous" in their own band! ;)

Even more who have become a "legend in their own lunchtime"!

17. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    hehe, well me and the singer have a little dream of becoming famous before year 12. suppose it would help if the band actually practiced :rolleyes: haha.

im sure the rest of the band would like that but theyre all too lazy to ever call me and organise a practice, im like the leader of the band in a way. its great seeing a bassist the leader :)

later
    Lukas

18. Actually, I don't hate that kind of music. I don't respect the artists overly much, but the music is okay and kind of hooky. It's like eating junk food... kinda sweet, but if you consume too much it makes you sick.

I think what people on this board have in common is a deep connection with music itself. Music in it's most pure form is basically emotional expression. I think good musicians are sensitive to the emotional qualities in music -- we not only understand the lauguage, but we have something to say. While I don't like to discount any particular style or artist off the bat, there are certain songs where I don't identify with the emotion, or I feel there's a negative emotion directed at me or people like me. I can still see the point in such music though, because having people like me feel like an outsider probably IS the point.

19. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Grrrr ! My sister is 11 and she reads all the magazines like Smash Hits and TV Hits etc. and i was reading the latest one because I was bored and it had all these flow charts entitled "are you the right girl for Will ?" and "is your pop lover Will or Gareth ?".
    Are they in denial ? Surely their readers will know that Will is gay ! It was headline news in the Sun and all over the news !
    Surely the message that girls of any age could be the right one for a gay man is at best confusing !

:rolleyes:

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't like this thread, and it serves no point, but since it's not caused any problem yet...I'll close it if it continues off course for a couple more posts.

Ashton: If this is NOT an argument board, why are people supposed to argue their point about why they like a bassist? Nice logic, buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.