Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who are bass player(s) in Incognito?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matthew T., Aug 4, 2005.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I just got my first Incognito cd, their Best of disc. The bass playing is fantastic, but the bassists aren't listed! Who in the world were/are these guys? The bass lines groove like tomorrow just ain't comin'!

2. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Richard Bailey is the drummer, and has been for awhile. The new guy, I forgot his name... Randy Hope-Taylor was playing bass, and they both played with Jeff Beck.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Some of their best tracks have Julian Crampton playing bass - very funky!!

4. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    Who played bass on "Still a Friend of Mine?" I learned that line last night and it absolutely kills.

And which albums did Julian Crampton play on, please?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is an official Incognito website that has a lot of Julian Crampton bass transcriptions !! :)

http://incognito.org.uk/

My favourite album where he plays is 100° and Rising (1995).

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Great stuff. SAFOM is a greta groove.

7. Matthew T:

Welcome to the Incognito club! :)

Do yourself a BIG favour and get yourself the 1996 Live in Tokyo album - absolutely stunning with some stellar bass performances IMHO.

Also, there is a live DVD available which was recorded at their North Sea Jazz gig (in 2001 I think) and which features Mr Crampton on bass.

Marvellous stuff. ;) ;)

8. hey, i just "recieved" a few songs from a "friend" who "lives" in switzerland, they're pretty good! well, okay, the vocals are irritating :p but the basswork is very nice! thanks for posting about them :)

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Does anybody know which album has Gavin Harrison drumming on it? Very curious to hear that.

10. Lackey:

According to Google ( ;) ), Inside Life is the album, from 1991.

11. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I believe bassplayer from Incognito also plays in Down To The Bone - smooth jazz/funk band.

12. Yep, that's Julian Crampton.

I think they had an album called Cellar Funk?

13. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Yes, I've got this one, also latest from them called Spread Love Like Wildfire is great, specially groove on 1-st track

14. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    well, here's an update on one of incognito's bassplayers...

Randy Hope-Taylor has quit playing bass professionally. He's a born again christian and is currently driving a bus in London.

A most extreme change, but if he's happy.... :)

15. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Does anyone know how they got the bass tone from the track magnetic ocean. The lowend is so powerfull, tight and fat.

16. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    It's a programed bass line played on keyboard.

17. TheGreatMM

TheGreatMM

Jul 28, 2009
    Randy Hope-Taylor is out of retirement and playing with an awesome band called The Allstars Collective.

They've just released an album of original material produced by Hamish Stuart with the title track (All About The Music) sung by none other than JOCELYN BROWN. I bought it on CDBaby and it's really great - jazz guitar legend Jim Mullen is on there too as well as drum monster Mark Mondesir!

They have a myspace http://www.myspace.com/theallstarscollective where you can check out their stuff.

18. Jacob's Ladder. What a tune!!