Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who are some great bassists you'd LOVE to get lessons from?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Personally, on a lesser known scale, I'd like to get lessons with Jay Terrien. His sense of humor and his different but very chill style of playing bass are very cool and impressive.

http://www.grasstain.com/home.htm is his site.

On a larger scale, I'd like to take lessons with Stuart Hamm. His Slap, Pop, and Tap and second video arevery cool, and he's a superb musician.

I'd also like to take lessons with Marcus Miller...a man with such groove! Very awesome guy, favorite slap sound no doubt.

For the progressive side of things, albeit John Myung might not be able to teach well (I've heard nothing but bad things about his instructional video) he's good at bass. I'd also like to learn from Michael Lepond or Thomas Miller from symphony x.

Who are some bassists you'd like to take lessons from?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I know a guy who took lessons from Stu, said they were very very helpful...so I'd want Stu! I love him musically and apparently he's very cool to talk to when he teaches you, until the point where it feels like paying a friend to teach you!

other guys....Jonas Hellborg, Victor Wooten, Vail Johnson (I really dig Vail right about now), Geddy Lee, Stanley Clarke...

I love them all!

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Can it be a dead guy?

I'd go for Leroy "Slam" Stewart. :D

4. Man I'd love Jonas to teach help me learn western/eastern fusion and any other style! He's the man.

5. Anthony Jackson
    John Patitucci
    Nathan East
    Alain Caron
    Jean Baudin
    Stew McKinsey
    Victor Wooten
    Matt Garrison
    Mike Pope
    Lincoln Goines

The list goes on...

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd just want a masterclass in chords/Elegant Punk/genreal bass mastery ;). I'd love just to pull a chair with him and talk about the Elegant Punk album in particular, as I really am taken by it!

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Michael Manring would definitely be first on my list. I met him once, and he's a super-nice guy, and very intelligent. I can assume with real assurance that he could open up how I think musically in ways I'd never dreamed of.

Matt Garrison would be next on the list.

8. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    John Myung. His three-finger technique is fantastic, and his endurance is certainly enviable.

Victor Wooten. I'd love to be able to use DT as coherently as he does, and expand my groove when slapping to something other than a mute/octave bore-fest.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Raphael Saadiq
    Pino Palladino
    Duck Dunn
    Tom Jenkinson
    Michael Manring

Though I don't know if some of those guys would be very good teachers.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'd LOVE lessons from Richard Bona.

11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Leonard "Hub" Hubbard
    Charles Mingus (focus on composition)
    Jean Baudin

12. Les Claypool. I consider him to be the Van gogh of the bass...

13. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Adam Nitti
    John Patitucci
    Victor Wooten
    Alain Caron

Please! hahaha

14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    John Patitucci

Anthony Jackson

Jimmy Johnson

15. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Marcus Miller.
    Prince.
    Rapheal Saadiq.
    Pino Palladino.
    Preston Crump.

16. Doug Wimbish just so I can see how he gets all of those crazy sounds and learn his slap style..

17. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Matt Garrison
    Adam Nitti
    Norm Stockton

...in no particular order. :D

18. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I've heard from my bass instructor who has met him a few times that Victor Wooten is the nicest guy on the planet. He will talk bass with you no matter what level you are and he will NEVER talk down to you.
    You could be talking about something as simple as "How to play the C Major scale in the first position" and he will explain it to you just as if he is on your level. That is an EXTREMELY good value in a teacher.
    I would expect somebody at his level to say something sarcastic or not even answer a question like that. But my instructor brought a student to meet him and Victor took 15 minutes and just spoke with the student and the student asked him "How do you remember all the notes on the bass?" (the student was something like 11 or 12) and Victor explained to him how he memorized them and how he remembers them. I think that is fantastic!
    Sorry for the rant :( but my Vote is Victa' hehe

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd like to get bass lessons from Jennifer Lopez, just so she could talk down to me and treat me like dirt.

20. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    And the random comment of the month award goes to.... *drum roll* :smug: :p