Who are Tal Wilkenfelds bass influences??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cire113, Aug 26, 2009.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    How in the world do you become a pro bass player in 3 years...

Does anyone have any idea who her bass influences were?

I thought i was good for 1 1/2 years... but DAM!!!

2. wallshakerpbass

wallshakerpbass

Jun 18, 2009
    Not sure, but she's definitely a KICKASS bassist. She probably either came from a musical background, or is just one of those lucky few that are just born with it.
    And I don't you can go without mentioning, she's not to tough to look at :D :D ;)

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    She was a guitarist from when she was real young, but when she moved to LA all of her friends said she played more like a bassist. She has been playing forever, just with two more strings. ;)

The rest is history.

4. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    How many influences could she have. Three moths after picking up the instrument, Roger Sadowsky heard her an immediately signed her to an indorsement. I haven't heard anything about influences on any of the many sites devoted to her. There may have been something in the BP article, but look at who she has played with and what she does with the instrument at such a young age and you wonder if she NEEDS influences.

5. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    the only thing i havent seen her do yet is slap and pop...... can she do it?

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Tal is off the hook talented. Just got off a tour with Jeff Beck and is about to record with Herbie Hancock. 'Nuff said.

Rob

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Are you sure? I heard that Roger doesnt do endorsement deals. Maybe Im wrong.

She has a few tones on her album Transformation that sound like it.. but its not.

Can she? Im sure. Does she? Nope.

This.

8. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I have been a Jeff beck fan since the Yard Bird days. I have seen him several times, most recently in Milwaukee in March. Many TBers were up against the front of the stage that night.

Tal is just a rare thing.For me, i think she was just born with it.

9. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Does it matter? Plenty of great bass has been laid down that didn't involve slap, particularly in jazz/fusion. The ability to slap does not define a great bassist. Take that to heart.

10. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
  11. wallshakerpbass

wallshakerpbass

Jun 18, 2009
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a video of her playing a slap solo.

12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Tal's myspace, see post above, and her Official Site provided lots of info. when I first started listening to her music. If you have a myspace page and you're nice, she'll be your friend. See her on youtube, and check out her CD!

13. wow:smug:

14. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    I think she was only playing guitar for three years (from 14-17) before picking up bass, and after then she quit school in Australia, came to the US and worked her ass off playing with tons of people for the next three years. Eventually she got noticed by some big cats and she became what she is now.

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well one of her interviews in Australia says she was a guitar player before becoming a bassist. Makes sense why she solos so well. But yes, Tal's a very talented bassist...I wish I could do 1/100th what she's capable of.

16. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    How do you become a pro bass player in 3 years? Same way you win the Tour de France two years after getting your butt kicked by cancer. You work hard with a determined focus on what you want, and a strong ability of separating the BS from the gold.

Sure she had an extensive background in guitar. But the talent combined with the hard work is why she's where she is. While we're all typing stuff on the net, she was listening, studying, learning, and practicing.

John

17. She is very talented AND quite attractive. She apparently has outstanding focus. She appears to be someone not driven by sex, drugs, and rock and roll. No wonder she has succeeded. Yes, there might be people with better chops somewhere, but she presents a compelling marketing package as a side person and to a recording industry person for solo work. In the real world all the factors matter.

18. Thanks, John. You're so right!

This is just what I needed to hear for myself. Now I know what I need to be doing!

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Not the best analogy to Tal since many, many people outside of the USA think lance had a significant chemical assist.:D

The bottom line is that Tal is super talented, hard working, and had some good fortune. Nobody gets there on sheer talent alone.;)

20. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think part of the sell is that hard work is not required and it's all about the "gift". This angle boosts your incredibleness. :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021