Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who are the most Underrated Rock players?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gamera, Jan 17, 2006.

1. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    I am sure this topic or something like it has been done before. I'd prefer we stick to somewhat known people. The first person to say Geddy Lee goes to the corner with the dunce cap. Try and qualify your answer.

My candidate is Michael Anthony of Van Halen.

A) He has to play with Alex Van Halen. (completely overrated drummer) and still keep time and hit accents.

B) He has mad skills and timing and is very creative in the context of the band.

Why I think people don't give him the credit he deserves is that he has been buried in the mix since day one. Van Halen never had good production until Fair Warning. His sounds syncs well with Alex's horrible drum sounds. And last but not least Eddie is in the band.

I have another who I will add later after some other people throw down.

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Both of the bass players for Our Lady Peace have been pretty inventive and tasteful, if you ask me. I especially dig the basslines on their first album, "Naveed."

3. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    The bassist from the Bare Naked Ladies
    Billy Gould of Faith No More
    Kristoffer Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation (Even those who do know PoS tend to overlook him)
    And around here John Myung is totally underrated. He's the one member of a band that is constantly critiscized for showing off that never plays over the top. He does what a bassist should do, do his job, and he gets critiscized for that by people who say he doesn't step out enough.

4. John Deacon from Queen

Jim Lea from Slade

Don't need justifying. Just listen!

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Well they are both great bassists. Especially underappreicated is Jim Lea, but Deacon isn't underrated in my opinion at all. I never hear anything but praise for him.

Qualifying your answers is what people would like to see. You don't need to justify it, but it might be nice for us to hear WHY YOU think they are better players than they get credit for.

Jim Lea is like Jack Bruce on speed. Maybe that'll clear things up.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  6. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    BIG +1 on this.
    I disagree on Alex VH being overrated, more like underrated to me, but hey.
    Since getting my ipod and listening to VH (1 to 1984) with headphones, I can hear what he does much better. Very tasty.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Abark is the only one who can rate.

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    the bassist from soundgarden, when he get goin he can really throw down.

JPJ, so overshadowed by the flash of page/plant that people dont realise that all 4 are what created the zeppelin

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    why does everything have to be overrated or underrated?

10. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Ok, see I was trying to put a positive spin on this and let people give props to those players they like that they feel are underappreciated.

Everyone needs a pat on the behind now and then, right?

This isn't mean to be a bitchfest. Everything isn't overrated or underrrated but some things are. People mentioning things like John Paul Jones though is kinda silly. I understand the sentiment. In the context of the band he is underrated or overlooked. But to say he is an underappreciated bassist is a stretch.

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    +1

Aqualung60 likes this.
  12. Stefan Lessard

One of the most poetic and understated players out there IMO

13. the guy from AC/DC, what's his name, Cliff Williams? (The guy that's with them now, not the original guy).

He grooves like mad! AC/DC wouldn't be what it is without him. Great straight 8th rock grooves.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You forgot to mention Anthony's fantastic vocals.

15. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I would say both Mike Inez and Mike Starr from Alice in Chains. Great tone from both guys.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    most any bassists playing for those teen queens.

they're just unreal!

17. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Two that were already mentioned:

Billy Gould - Faith No More
    Ben Shepherd - Soundgarden

Ones that weren't:
    Paul D'amour - TOOL (when he played bass anyway, his lines were [ecspecially after TOOL] very creative)

Greg Edwards - Failure (great tone and great songwriter. plus his early Failure fretless work would make Pino and Mick look twice ;))

And any session guy that doesn't get proper credit. I know Pino, JMJ, Chris Chaney, etc get credited and they've all be in a magazine, but I think, although I really don't know, that they might have a great role than people would allow them to admit.

18. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    That is an excellent point.

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1, never overplays, and is very conscience of space in his lines.

My vote is Juan Nelson of Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals. Most of the studio work is very simple and understated, while live, Ben lets him really shine. This guy has one of the cleanest tones I've ever heard and I doubt a lot of Ben Harper fans would ever even know.

Reed Mathis is another one. Allthough I guess their band isnt all that big at all. Still one of the most inoovative people on the instrument in my opinion.

20. I seldom hear acclaim for Sting, who had some tasteful and stylistically unique work with the Police, though it wasn't generally technically difficult. Who would have thought you could combine jazz, punk, and reggae bass? He's a big enough personality and star, but not generally spoken of much regarding bass playing.

I also think John Taylor of Duran Duran inspired quite a few with his work, particularly on the early album Rio. Upfront aggressive tone and playing, and he integrated some slap bass into a pop/rock context before it became so mainstream. Again not a technical virtuoso, but unique in his own right.

For more modern, harder rocking choices...

Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots, I never hear anyone mention this guy, and he played some good lines. Busy at times, yet not intrusive or in your face like Flea or Claypool. Well integrated into the song but very strong and aggressive playing.

+1 on Soundgarden's bassist - some great lines there. I haven't made a study of them but I've liked what I heard.