Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who are you accused of sounding like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I get accused of sounding like Flea a lot... Not that I am anywhere near as talented as him, I apparently can just recreate his sound/feel very well. My teacher's friend asked if it was jaco or me playing when we were jamming out in the amp room at the music store... I forgot what song i was playing though, and i did have my "Mike Money Custom Fretless P" on me at the time which i defretted in a very jaco like manner...

the occasional Mike Dirnt accusation.. but i usually get flea...

so, who do you get accused of sounding like?

2. "If Jaco, Tony Levin and Les Claypool had a three way"- Some guy in the GC after trying out a bunch of amp combos.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Just an hour ago I was accused of sounding like jaco with which I take major umbrage; don't like jaco, never liked him, and hope I never sound like him. He was a good player though.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well over the phone I apparently sound like Russell Crowe. So allow me to tell you a poem or I'll beat you up.........

Seriously, don't listen to anyone who says you sound like another bass player. 2 Reasons. Firstly, they probably only know 2 bass players. Also, you don't want to sound like someone else. Sure grab the bits you can use but you're much better off developing your own style.

5. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I sound like Christopher Walken... thats soo bad ass, that guy rocks.

On bass, I dont sound like anyone, but I play kind of like John Myung if I were to compare my music style of playing.

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I'm a hodgepodge of players and styles. I try to stay as original as possible. Why do whats already been done?

7. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Geddy Lee and Les Claypool. Every gig, every time I'm at a music store farting around, always without fail. It drives me mad.

I mean, c'mon, I'm obviously trying to rip off John Entwistle over here! ;)

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Geddy. My tone is really comparable to his, and so is my playing style. Just hes got way more skillz than me, but im workin on that part :p

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I get Told that I sound Like Berry White all the time... Not looks, but Voice wise... It can get annoying..

I've been Compared to Les Claypool, and once to Victor Wooten, but I was playing a Victor piece so that doesn't really count ;)

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know really but I heard that someone once told Jaco that he sounds like me.

brad cook

11. When it comes to singing I have been accused of sounding like "geese farts on a foggy day."

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Someone told me I sound like this guy named "Sh*t", but I've never heard any of his stuff...

I think he played fuzz bass for Cole Porter?

13. i thought this thread was gonna go in a completely different direction...

i've never been compared to anyone, unless i was blatently ripping someone off.

my band gets accused of sounding like mars volta & don cabellero, which is absolutely rediculous. i don't hear it at all. i think we sound like squarepusher, except analog.

14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    On electric, mostly Marcus.

On upright, Jack Benny.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Accused" is too strong a word, but after a particularly intense slap solo, a lady told me I reminded her of Louis Johnson.:D

Other than that, I'm my own man.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    A tone-deaf, no talent hack.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd like to be the judge of that.:)

BTW, Jazzbo, you've heard me play. Did my playing remind you of anyone? (I selfishly ask because people don't usually volunteer that kind of info).

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have been told that I sound like:

Lou Reed
    Lou barlow
    Velvet Underground
    Joy Divsion

and a few others ...

19. I've been told this plenty of times while at GC.

"HEY! Could You Please Stop Making Noise!"

20. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I get compared to Patitucci every once in awhile. If I hear anyone mention me and wooten in the same sentence I take off running.