1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who are you as a bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Touring pro, original band

12 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Pit/show musician local/regional

9 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Cover band, local/regional, very busy 10+shows a month (includes jazz)

11 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Cover band, local, 4-8 shows a month (includes jazz)

39 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Cover band, local, 1-2 shows a month for beer money (includes jazz)

72 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Original band, play out locally for the door

57 vote(s)
    18.3%
  7. No gigs, just jam with friends

68 vote(s)
    21.8%
  8. Freelance, play with multiple projects but always for $$$

44 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    i am curious to see the make up of people who frequent this forum.

I would fall under the Freelance category, although I do not depend on the income to pay bills.. I enjoy playing different instruments (also drums, acoustic guitar/vocals) in different situations, but if I am leaving the house, I am getting paid.

cosmicevan, lat and JimmyM like this.
  2. I guess I would be a freelancer as I'm the bass player for a classic rock band, guitar player for a rockabilly band, and bouzouki player for a Celtic band.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  3. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Not playing live anymore but a recording artist/songwriter with home studio.

4. I clicked; Cover band, local, 1-2 shows a month for beer money (includes jazz) but really our band has backed it down to playing quarterly (4-times a year) We all kind of burnt out when we were playing twice a month. That and the gigs kind of dried up since we have zero following and bring only a wife or two to shows. Actually, it's amazing we've been able to play for 10 years that way!

jackn1202, Helix, lat and 3 others like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    None of the above.

6. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Since we've made the decision that it's time to come in off the road as hired guns for several bands, we are now a studio band but producing our own music over several projects.

StyleOverShow and The Owl like this.
  7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I've only ever played in bands doing original work, mostly only playing local shows. The idea of getting "the door" is a somewhat quaint one; most of the bands here have to play for free or pay to play.
    The band I'm in now also has its own DIY studio, so I am also a junior producer and mix engineer.

Impermanence and Charlzm like this.
  8. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Hired gun exclusively since 2014.

9. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    You should make more than one choice available.
    Fer instance, I make about half my income with pit/show work, but I also freelance weddings, parties, and club dates. Studio sessions and jazz gigs/concerts are harder to come by, but they also occasionally happen.

10. BishopHastur

BishopHastur

Jan 20, 2014
    So. Cal.
    Non-jamming hobbyist that's not that good.

Rum Ham, equill, chadface and 5 others like this.
  11. In two originals bands. Both play out regularly (2-4 times per month each) and get paid well, more than just "the door." No options in this poll for me.

shawshank72 likes this.
  12. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    cover band, local, with 6-8 gigs a year. It works for us.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    A very, very lucky bassist.:)

Passinwind, Bunk McNulty and And I like this.
  14. walking Bass

walking Bass Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Northern California
    How about mostly retired?

15. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Q: Who am I as a bassist?
    A: Soupy Sales

If I averaged things out, I'd say I gig less than once a month. I'm mainly a hobby bassist and a gear hound.

Hurricane Jimmie and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. New-ish originals band. We supplemented our set list with a few covers. At least until we have enough material to cover a whole set. Second show is 07/12/2019!

Supadope and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. Semi Retired, partially disabled at this point. I do hope to regain my health and get back to actively playing soon, but it has been almost two years. All of the above over the last fifty years at one point or another.

jamro217 and The Owl like this.
  18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I played in almost all original bands for the last 30 years. All my recent projects have been fairly inactive lately, so I put together my first recording session as a bandleader in a few weeks. I have four multi-instrumentalists joining me to work on material that I wrote myself.

The Owl likes this.
  19. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I picked the one that fits most closely but... lots of bands play a mix of covers and originals... some originals bands play regionally but not really what you'd call touring or local. cover bands that play fewer than 10 gigs a month play regionally, not just locally. Lots of people work in more than one type of situation. This would be a good "pick more than one option" poll. But I'm only interested because I like this poll and am interested, so thanks for making it!

20. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I was in a high school group playing high-school dances back in the mid-60's. Next came college and the occasional coffee house or small club. Then came 3 years as a touring pro with a nightclub group playing 5-nights a week 50-weeks a year for 3-years. We only played a few originals, was basically a well paid nightclub group making really good money and 100% of my income. Then back to weekend gigs until 1976 when all my gear (including my 1965 Jazz Bass) was stolen. Played guitar (had a 12-string) at friends weddings, birthdays, etc.

Fast forward almost 10 years and I bought my current bass (in 1985) but no amp. Didn't start playing again until 1997, when I would play at the Siskiyou Blues Society's jam each Wednesday night for 1 beer and free soft drinks. Started playing weekends for decent money again in 2005 and am playing in two bands now 4 to 6 gigs a month.