1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who are you as a bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Touring pro, original band

12 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Pit/show musician local/regional

9 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Cover band, local/regional, very busy 10+shows a month (includes jazz)

11 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Cover band, local, 4-8 shows a month (includes jazz)

39 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Cover band, local, 1-2 shows a month for beer money (includes jazz)

72 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Original band, play out locally for the door

57 vote(s)
    18.3%
  7. No gigs, just jam with friends

68 vote(s)
    21.8%
  8. Freelance, play with multiple projects but always for $$$

44 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    “I play my bass for about 10 minutes a day and not much else.”

My gigging days are long gone

2. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    None of the above. It's been about a decade since I've played on a gig. I'll pick up a bass and play it for a couple hours, or ten minutes.

I'm not putting myself out there, but soon enough the right band will find me :laugh:

3. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Original band, primarily a recording project at this point. Played a charity show for no pay last month, no upcoming gigs booked.

4. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

None of the above

5. Bevan777

Bevan777

Jan 7, 2019
    Where’s the option for “I just play to myself and occasionally to my kids”

roberts67, JoshS and Tad like this.
  6. I tour with original band, and get paid, but also have a day job to pay the bills.
    also play in surf band, mostly local, some tour, get paid more than the door.
    play in a beatnik poetry unit, jazzy, doesn't get paid much, but a hell of a lot of fun!

Impermanence likes this.
  7. None of the above.

8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You forgot at least 2 categories. The one I fit in and carrots.

MynameisMe and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I'm a chameleon. In the sense that I am many of those things and more

10. Rum Ham

Rum Ham

Jan 28, 2018
    Ohio
    It sounds painful. Because it's true for MANY musicians.

11. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't see worship band bass player. That is who I am, playing 4 times @ month (8 services), no paid, band made of very talented musicians, full house (450-500 people) every Sunday :), great FOH system and quality sound guys. Very happy with my ''gig''.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    SOUTH PAW, MynameisMe and Spidey2112 like this.
  12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've always worked primarily on the technical side of the music business, which quite frankly I'm just much better at. But ten years ago I just missed doing 100 playing (and paying) gigs with 4 or so bands, and other years I gigged primarily on guitar rather than bass. I greatly prefer playing original weirdo music, but I've also done a long stint doing small band format straight ahead jazz in wineries and at festivals, a fair amount of jam band stuff that was reasonably popular, and then occasional Americana/country rock/classic rock, blues, and surf punk music. I've also run hundreds of open mics over the years.

My last regular gig was in our community big band, which kicks back all the gig money into school programs and/or maintaining the song books. I've been retired from all gigging for a couple of years now, save the occasional last minute sub gig with the big band. But I still get out and play at least once or twice a week at house jams and/or open mics, which suits me just fine. I don't recall ever playing more than a handful of gigs more than an hour from my house, and touring never seemed all that attractive a thing to me. And there you have it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    SOUTH PAW, JRA and Spidey2112 like this.
  13. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I guess I’m a fee lancer too.. I mean Freelancer too. Currently working 3 distinct musical projects, some of which go back almost 50 years recording, and doing concerts performing originals and reworking old obscure B sides. The drag about being a bassist, I’m the only one and the only time I get to play other instruments is in the studio. I professionally played a different instrument in public last about 30 some years ago.

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I'm an old cat, been playing for money since the late '60s. Mostly bar bands playing covers, then a corporate/wedding gig late '80s through mid '90s, then stopped playing until '05 or so. Picked it up again, with bar bands.

About a year ago I was offered a great gig with an originals band--good material, good musicianship, good mix of personalities, careful attention to the stage mix. We're _busy_ (average 2 or 3 shows a week, with fun stuff like a bunch of summertime festivals and a TV appearance), and the money is good.

EdO. likes this.
  15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Retired. Many different bands. Original bass player for Eddie and the Subtitles. “American Society” Played with the late great Bubba Bryant. Offered an audition with Marvin Gaye.

pjbassist likes this.
  16. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    Same here. More than a gig a month would make it too much like work for me, I think...

Helix likes this.
  17. Marhmol

Marhmol Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Bay Area Ca
    I have had my Explorer since Nineteen Eighty; Thanks for bringing that up!
    Never a gig,and I still suck.:bassist:

18. I checked "Original band, play out locally for the door." We make dozens of dollars each year! :laugh:

Impermanence, JRA and EatS1stBassist like this.
  19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!

20. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Jammin’ for tips. Mostly jazz standards but occasional blues jams, classic rock, Steely Dan and Grateful Dead covers. People get happy when we play and I love contributing to that.

JRA and EdO. like this.