1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who are you as a bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Touring pro, original band

12 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Pit/show musician local/regional

9 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Cover band, local/regional, very busy 10+shows a month (includes jazz)

11 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Cover band, local, 4-8 shows a month (includes jazz)

39 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Cover band, local, 1-2 shows a month for beer money (includes jazz)

72 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Original band, play out locally for the door

57 vote(s)
    18.3%
  7. No gigs, just jam with friends

68 vote(s)
    21.8%
  8. Freelance, play with multiple projects but always for $$$

44 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Haven’t been in a band for the last few years. Work, family, kids and their sports have all been more important than my fun.

Play every day at home, jam with some friends once in a while.

In a couple of years when my youngest goes off to college, I may be able to look for a band to join again. I’m looking forward to that. Looking for a band, not my youngest leaving. She’s the one that I jam with most often.

She’s grown a lot since this picture was taken.

0CB41050-9E9C-46F7-9025-AF2AC2F6DDEB.

774E7935-2C04-4AE1-9A47-97E471A73246.

9297805B-3D11-4CAF-AD25-1D20459847CD. 996B77B8-FBF8-4E14-979F-82971A69EFEC.
    B14BB87D-2201-4DDA-AF54-5EFF9AFAD277.

JRA, Skillet, teh-slb and 2 others like this.
  2. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    if your having fun...just go with it....... I play in dozens of bands...they're all on cd!!:smug::bassist:

3. logdrum

logdrum Formerly known as noelpaz Supporting Member

How about guys that teach, record and compose/arrange?

The Owl likes this.
  4. That, as much as anything, is the reason I still love playing out. If I'm a small part of the reason people are out having a good time that makes it all worth the effort. :thumbsup:

5. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Propeller-Head Hero Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    I’m a slut. I’ll play anything for anybody if it’s got potential for $$. Some work out, some don’t. I’ve been referred to a semi-professional - sometimes you get paid, sometimes you don’t. And it keeps me busy. I usually have at least two bands active and a studio or original project tucked in between. Otherwise I get hinky. :eek: :bored:

Steve Philip likes this.
  6. Steve Philip

Steve Philip

Jun 8, 2019
    Playing in 3 bands at the present time. A duo with a guitarist, a trio with same guitarist plus drums, 6 piece dance band with two keyboards, female singer & sax player. I also sing lead/backup in all 3. Plus who ever calls on an off weekend, I freelance quite a bit. 8-10 gigs a month. Beach/tourist town, lots of venues...50 miles north or south.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I always hate reading "cover band" and "original band" because the bands I work with do both, the percentage of originals ranging from 10% to 90%. It's not a black and white thing, it's a continuum. Haven't done 100% covers for over 30 years.

Gig frequency changes by seasons, much slower in the winter and busier and better paying in the summertime. I average about 100 gigs a year.

EdO. and jerry like this.
  8. roberts67

roberts67

Jan 14, 2017
    I play for the 2 cats, 1 possum and multiple raccoons that live around my house! Also for my bass teacher. Never for the wife...

ajkula66 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  9. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA & State College PA
    Eschew Obfuscation
    Needs to be possible to check more than one box.

Some of play classically too. No options for that end of the musical world.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Who are you

bbric.

Skillet likes this.
  11. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    Original band. Play locally, but working on a regional tour. Usually play for the door, but there are still some venues or private events that pay a set fee.

12. BILL BO SAGGINS

BILL BO SAGGINS

Aug 10, 2015
    Cover band. 2 to 4 shows a month. $100 minimum pay per member, 4 members. Classic rock and country. Polo shirt and nice jeans for casual gigs. Absolutely no shorts, not even at home alone practice. For that still requires my Darth Vader jammy pants... still pants mind you.

13. Welp, I voted- Cover band, local, 1-2 shows a month for beer money (includes jazz)

BUT, I don't know how local local is- we travel up to an hour and a half for some recurring gigs. We play mostly covers, but also a few originals. And we generally make enough each per gig to call it beer money for the whole month... So...

Then again, I don't drink as much as I used to...

14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    ^This^ I am a retired pro touring musician. Now I play as a hired gun in a couple bands and we do seasonal shows, and as a solo performer I do charities and old folks homes. I still play my bass a lot although it's mostly as a single performer now...

JRA likes this.
  15. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    I play in my bedroom but sometimes venture out to the living room. I'm fortunate to have understanding neighbors.

I play with others rarely. The people who like to play with me are busy with their families and live well outside the city (doesn't help that I'm not able to drive legally). Unfortunately, the people in the city I tried playing with seemed to have something to prove, either musically or otherwise. I was neither a musical nor a cultural fit. Maybe I should move away.

If someone told me twenty years ago that people like Tad above would become my role models later in life, I'd probably smirk and say "yeah right".

Tad likes this.
  16. 4-8 times per month.. We are fairly busy for the area we play in.. Very saturated with bands.. :thumbsup:

17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd consider even the $100 a gig for a local cover band more than "beer money," but maybe I just don't drink enough beer.

Put myself in the local 1-2 gigs/month category, but have been in the 4-8/month and would hope to be there again.

18. Rum Ham

Rum Ham

Jan 28, 2018
    Ohio
    You forgot one category. - Jam alone has no friends, also has bass in pawn shop for loan of $22

19. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    I chose pit, but only play for church for no pay.

20. Gigging once a month became too much like work for me! Of course I do all the begging/booking, social media, and prepare the set lists.

I'm really starting to like going back to the basement for a Friday night jam and hang!

lat likes this.