Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who are you? John Entwistle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 18, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i bet u all thought this string would be about dissing JH.....but he is my idol.......but i what i wanna know is;
    i saw a performance by The Who on VH-1, and they were playing 'who are you'.........now it was late in their career.....and i just wanted to know what bass he was playing. it wasn't his own design it was yellow and it looked like an explorer but it wasn't and it had real atitude! got any clues cheers.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

(click on the pic ;) )

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Mr. Entwistle had been known to get Gibson Thunderbirds and then have Fender P-Bass necks installed on them :confused:

I have never heard why he did this (or had it done), but I've seen him on film with a Bass that had a red T-Bird body and a maple fretboard P-Bass neck (It may have been in the VH-1 Keith Moon story).

Anyway, I think what you saw may have been one of these T-Bird/P-Bass hybrids.

4. did it look anything like the one he is holding here? (I'm not sure why everything looks blue.. that should appear to be yellowish)

[​IMG]

here's a similar 4 string

[​IMG]

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    he was playing a thunderbird on the Simpsons last nite.

6. Sorry, I've nothing contrsuctive to say, but that is such a cool photo!

I love those old, really dated photos of musicians, bands etc... really interesting and totally cool.

7. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    that is the bass in the picture above, pated b Steamboat, that's it! cheers mate, what is it and how much do those tings go for?
    thy are exceptionally cool!

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know what bass it was, since I've never seen the video you're referring to. I didn't even know it existed...hard to believe for the biggest Entwistle fan in America!;)

Anyway, I know that on the video "The Kids Are Alright" he was using what appeared to be a Red Thunderbird Body with a Fender P-neck....that's a guess. But, I believe that's what he was using during the entire time, probably right before he switched to Alembics.

He is a big fan of the explorer body shape, and if you look at his current bass, as built by Status, it's got some of the same lines as an explorer, especially up top...it's essentially a very strange explorer offshoot that he designed in the mid 1980's.

9. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Whoa thats a lot of basses!

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's an Alembic.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I love John Entwhistle to death, and he's probably one of my favorite bassists.

But I'm sorry, that Buzzard is UGLY. It's almost in the fugly range. 'Course, if I could sound like him, I wouldn't care what my bass looked like.

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    so ugly you had to post two times???

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    amen to that!

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Actually, I don't remember posting two times, did it by accident. I'll delete the first one.

But, in response to your post, I would post two times because it's just THAT guly.

15. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    the original Buzzard was made by Warwick for J.E.

and like already said by others...it is ugly...very ugly.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ugly, ugly, ugly...a mere matter of opinion. I happen to like it.

Warwick was the original builder of the Warwick. I did hear, however, that Modulus briefly made a few of these, though not for production, that Entwistle played for a couple of years, up until the time that Status took over production. I don't know how true this is, but I did hear it from a Trace Elliot rep, about the time that Trace was still a player...

17. i think the buzard is a great looking bass and was going to get one until i found out they were about $3600

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, they're twice that! Rob Green from Status sent me a quote of $6,995!

19. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    My favorite part in all that...the "wuh-oh" amp volume setting.

And of course, Daltrey's scream. My poor neighbors :( .
    Well, I guess if'n it were "purty" they'da called it
    Robin Redbreast or somethin' :p.

What's next? The Grackle..California Condor...Blue-footed Boobie? :D .

20. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I believe that Warwick are relaunching their own version of the Buzzard bass - I'm pretty sure that there's a picture of it in their latest brochure.

Also, if the Status Buzzard is too much, they also make a Buzzard II which is less severe-looking and cheaper. Entwistle has been using this model quite a lot over the last year or two.

David