1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who are your favorite double bassists of all time????

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by garretibanez, Mar 27, 2009.

1. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

:help:Let me just start of by naming all I know (I do not play upright bass but someday i wish)Paul Chambers Stanely Cark Milt Hinton and my favorite of all time is CHARLES MINGUS his passion and anger made him an excellent band leader.

So PLEASE name some more upright bass players who they played for and why there your favorite. For I am starting to take a deeper intrest in upright bass players.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    John Juzak, Emanuel Wilfer, Karl Hofner, Samuel Shen....

Oh, wait, I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question. I thought we were in the "basses" forum. Carry on...

3. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    You should check out John Goldsy's book. It's a wonderful and informative book on the history of jazz bass and bassists. One of my all time favorites has allways been Ray Brown.

4. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Renaud Garcia Fons, Brian Bromberg, Dave Holland, Eddie Gomez, Eberhard Weber, Dave Friesen

I think these guys really helped to elevate the profile of the bass as an instrument

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yup, Garret, you're in the wrong forum, and the topic is very broad. Having said that, definitely two, and possibly three, of your choices would be in my top ten list. :)

6. Mingus

Mingus

Aug 23, 2007
    Miami
    Dave Holland, McBride (Most of the time, anyways), and my Usernamesake...

7. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My favorite Upright Bass Player would be Charlie Weigel (desceased). An unknown to all but a mere few today. This gent is the first person I saw play an upright bass when I was just a wee lad of five, back in 1957. He stopped by my Grandfathers drug his bass out of his old car and gave me and Grandpa a private recital under the shade trees at 3008 Covert Avenue, Evansville, Indiana. I was so mesmerized by his thumping this instrument which seems as tall as a skyscraper.

That day has never dimmed from my memory, and it sparked my interest in the general love of music, and as I matured I learned how the bass is such a key important instrument in our musical culture.

That day Charlie demonstrated what at the time would have been "slap bass style playing". However my Grandfather would use the term "double clutching", when he requested Charlie to play his Bass in that manner.

These kinds of early exposure to musical instruments can be a powerful influence on a young mind. Golly I wish Charlie was around today. :crying: He died at such a young age. Just in his 40's, Charlie was an alcoholic, but loved by many. I've always wondered what ever became of his old Bass?

8. It's really hard to answer. There are so many outstanding bassists that have lent there talent and personality to the development of the bass. Seems a shame to name one at the expense of others. But saying you asked I will say Charlie Haden for his sympathetic accompaniment and his selfless approach to playing. He serves the music and not the other way round.

9. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    + 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hehe... saying you love Ray Brown is almost like saying, "Gosh, air..... I just love breathing it." I just assume that he's everybody's favorite bassist.

11. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Ray Brown & Niles Orsted Pedersen.

12. When ever I hear Christen McBride or Edgar Meyer playing I stop what I'm doing and listen.

13. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Another mention for Christian McBride and Ray Brown, just listen to Super Bass or Live At The Tonic to find out why. I could live happy if those were the only two bassists I could ever listen to.

14. Paul Chambers.

that is all.

coleman

15. jazz EADG said;

"Paul Chambers.

that is all."

I don't know man.........
    Love Paul, but Paul stopped playing, when he died.
    We can't stop listening, cause we're still alive.

16. As always, I'll stick with Red Mitchell. Solo wise, IMO, nobody has even come close in terms of beautiful, melodic and horn like flowing ideas. Towards the end, he was no longer a bass player, but a voice. The voice of music. In the section in terms of time, sound, swing and an inherent ability to lock in the section......I'd just go for Red again, only at the age of about thirty to forty.
    If I were a piano player though, I'd probably go for Percy Heath...pure, grounded, earthy sound, and swing that every player in the band could count on.
    The reason I wouldn't want Red at my side if I was a pianist?....because, he could prolly sit down on my bench and carve my ass. That used to really piss people off. Besides, I'd be so busy listening to what Red was doing that I couldn't play anyway.
    Don Thompson is still doing that **** to people.

17. Danny Thompson. He played with Pentangle, as well as everyone else on the planet. Check him out.

18. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Adding more to a well said list would be :
    Sam Jones - Ray Brown - Ron Carter - Scott Lafaro -Dave Holland - Niels Henning Orsted
    Pederson - Jimmy Blanton -Gary Peacock - Oscar Pettiford ,this is just some of many
    check out these cats and you will be a new bass player.

19. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Paul,
    I read that Red played piano as well. I guess it really is about the musician and musicality. I need some recommendations of what to listen to from Red.

20. Tom, drop me a PM as a reminder. I'll bend your ear.
    I dares'nt do my Red schtick here any more. I value what little time I have left on this earth.

If you kids, you know who you are, value the time you have left on this earth....knock it off. Or I'm sendin' out my Boyz.
    It's very hard for us old guys to concentrate amongst all the pimples and hair.
    AND, if you mention "DUDE" one more time...I'm gonna puke, then go for the valium. (Notice...Ill puke first, THEN do the V's.)