who besides me gets mad when your guitar player tries to drown you out!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oldirtymoney, Jul 19, 2002.

1. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    i hate when your guitar will try to drown you out or tell you to turn yours down when you can hardly hear it. Why the hell is bass gear so much more then guitar gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    whether we feel this way or not, higher and midrange frequencies are more pleasing to the ear than bass frequencies. So alot of times the guitarist needs to be heard more than the bassist, or by virtue of the human ear just is. I never have a problem with my guitarist, sumtimes im not as loud as i think i should be, or i want to be, but its always a good level. The best idea is to get a good sound guy, or a good friend who has a good ear. Mabye you are too loud, and your friend will tell you this, or maybe the guitarist needs to shut his trap and turn down his half stack. And people say this but i dont think guitar gear and bass gear differ in price much. My stack cost me about the same as a marshall stack would of. My bass cost me roughly the same as my gibson SG. Garage bands have the problem of a bassist needs alot more watts to be heard, so yea your gonna have to buy more cabs or watts to compete with a 60 watt tube amp, so thats why you might think this, but its about even.
  3. I play louad. Even though the bass is "supposed" to be a background instrament to keep rythem, i turn mine up. My guitarist is always telling me to turn down, but the drummer is on my side so he backs me up.
  4. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    lol drummers are so loyal
  5. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    wow, my guitarists are always in awe of the bass for some reason, one is even havin me "teach" him how to play. they love it,. i've even been told to turn it up on ocasion, at least for a few songs. at least part of practices always consist of them askin me to play certain riffs. for some reason they seem to love it. it does seem to me that i;m quieter than i should be, but they don't try to drown me out, i'm jsut told to turn it up. i think it's pretty cool.
  6. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Thats what happens with me too
  7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    That would happen occasionally back when I sucked at bass, and would turn up too loud to make sure I was playing the right notes. Recently, on the other hand, i've only been told to turn up. I'm not assuming you suck at bass but this is often the case.
  9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok i should of been more specific, not like screeching horrible sounds, but more midrangy to high range guitar sounds. Why do you think bassists need 5 times as many watts to keep up with the guitarist. If bass frequencies were easier to hear the guitarists would need more watts.
  10. Our ears hear upper midrange better than real low end or real high end. There's a simple reason for this. Most of the percussive consonant sounds (I think the term is fricatives ??), k sounds, etc. in human speech are in the range 1kHz-4kHz, so our ears are more sensitive to them. I don't believe that those frequencies are more pleasing to the ear though :D You need more power to produce the same apparent sound levels at frequencies both above and below this range. Check out the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curves...
    That being said, my guitarists always want me to turn UP! They love hearing the bass. I've been in a few volume wars with guitarists though....I just keep turning the SVT up until they beg for mercy!
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just joined a new band, and I brought my D-210XLT to the audition. It did OK, but the lead guitarist was pretty danged loud. So my first rehearsal, I bring my D-410XLT. Problem solved. If it gets worse, I'll bring 'em both. Wait 'til I get my Traveler WT-550, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.
  12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

when my guitarist tells me to keep it down my drummer backs me up too:D

13. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have seen instances of both kinds here, the guitar player is way too loud or the bass is too loud, and they both think it is fine or not loud enough!! I have worked running live sound many times in the past several years, and from this have learned to tell people to turn it up just enough so they can hear themselves. That way the sound guy(me :D) can actually do something with the mix. I someone ignors this it shows because even if I turn them off in the mix they are still too loud :rolleyes: this results in the sounding like bodily excrement rather then music.
    The bottem line is that 9 times out of 10 the lower the volume the better. If every one who needs to hear you can hear you then thats good. If they can hear you, and so can people in the next five towns you need to think about turning down :D. Oh and a note for bass players: bass travels, even if you can just hear yourself on stage you can be blasting in the house. when I play without a PA I turn myself up to the point where I can barely hear my self, and every one else can hear me fine. If you can get further away from your amp, or get it up higher it helps to get an accurate idea of your level.
    The music is what matters if you or some one in your band wants to be loud just because you can, and for no other good reason, it is time for an ego adjustment, because there will be one after you finally play a show and everyone say the sound sucked. The classic blame the sound guy may be true, but the sound guy can only work with what you give him, and that is better to be not enough then too much. Some people may disagree but this is just the conclusion I have come to from expirience.
  14. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats why I use 2 Mackie 1400's and 2 Crown Powerbase 3's. GET SOME GUITARBOY!!!!!

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Dont get mad get even! :D

Seriously though, we use a setup where all instruments are lined through the PA and each player mainly uses his amp as personal monitor on stage. That way the guitarist can have whatever listening volume he wants, pointing towards himself.

And, apart from playing the bass, I CONTROL THE PA MIXER!! Mwahahahahaha... :)
  16. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I totally hear you guys! I used to play in a punk/ska type band with a mediocre guitarist who mostly just played power chords. He was always turning up and saying I was too loud! Thank God for drummers though, as many of you have pointed out, our drummer would always be like "what are you talking about? you're drowning everything else out!" The rhythm section sticks together!
  17. most of the time when this happens it's because the guitarist sucks at EQ. i've played with a few guitarists who like to crank up the bass control and the gain - it's not very bass-friendly.
  18. Most of the time the guitar player sucks and only plays power chords!
  19. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    My 2000 watt amp is no match for their puny 100 and 150 watt amps. Hah.
  20. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I really hate when someone is turning me up, ny guit is always doing that, I can't hear me so I play anything the loudest i can...
    Anyway my guit is always to be the loudest, use several effect, be just in front of is amp and so on... I really dislike that... He wants everthing his way