Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who besides me never has played with a guitar player that drowns you out?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, Aug 1, 2002.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :D I just love how I play with mature, adult, professional musicians who are interested in making music. :)

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I play in a duo, and have to be careful of my levels so I don't drown out the guitar.
    Doc

3. I take it you didn't play in any rock bands between the ages of 15 and 24, A**BO?

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have played in some bands with reasonable guitarists, but I've also played with those who just want to crank it. Good of you to give your bandmates props though, Jazzbo.:)

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I did.

6. Then you may count yourself to be a very lucky man.

I'm happy--the guitarist I'm working with right now is very good about volume. It may have to do with his jazz background.

7. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Peter, if he did get out of hand your Fafner/Aguilar rig should take care of him right? ;)

8. Boy howdy. I once hit a low B and shook my entire dormitory--and that's a good-sized steel-frame brick building.

9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

:eek: :eek:

10. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    The only time i've been drowned out is when i jammed with two guitarists. One of them (who thinks hes amazing, but really blows) had his amp at 10 and his distortion pedal cranked. It was disgusting. Every other guitarist I've played with has been tasteful with their volume.

But, I havent played with very many guitarists....

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back in '96- ;)

I was playing with a 'young' guy(Classical guitar performance major)that, really, was outtahand.
    In addition to the sheer volume, his tone was very thick & processed; really, every bit of the available frequency spectrum was consumed by his Paul Reed Smith, 100 Watt Marshall, & whatever FX unit he had(Roland?).

I hadda buy a SWR 800 Watt power amp to compete...still, 100 Watts of tube power on a guitar can beat out what I had.

Practices were LOUD; basically, he said he "hadda feel it". I assume he meant PHYSICALLY feel the shock waves.
    What's weird is this guy had a nice touch & some nice technique. I will give him props for being able to play "cleanly" while playing so damn loud.
    In & by himself, his tone was phat; within a band, though...not good, IMO(especially with two very hyperactive & interactive players in the rhythm section).
    The ONLY thing I have in common with many Jazzers-
    I don't play so well at loud volumes.

Then there was the time we recorded some of our tunes...absolutely the ONLY time I hadda ask for "more me" in the headset. Every other recording experience I had...I always asked for "less me".
    Honestly, I couldn't hear anything I was trying to play; the drummer couldn't hear me, etc.
    The singer was footing the bill & basically sided with our young, impressionable guitarist("...he's young & knows what the kids want to hear").

How did I respond-
    I rushed like a Russian race horse thru the tunes...kinda sad, now, when I listen to the disc.

And then-
    ...he went in a DOUBLED everything he played! ;)

Eventually, though, both the drummer & myself hooked up later with this guy...he definitely toned it down a few notches!

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    And I also disagree with the whole "guitarist are egomaniac" stereotype. Assh*le musicans are assh*le musicians, no matter what they play. There are jerk guitarist, jerk bassist, jerk drummers, jery keyboardist, jerk bagpipe players, ect.

Jimk, you bring up another point that I never understood. Why do certain bands feel the need to play at deafening levels when they are just practicing?

Heck, why do some bands play bar gigs at deafening levels. People come to bars to listen to music, but they also come to socialize, why would they want to always have to shout?

Sorry if I'm in a crabby mood. :D

13. Hehehe, I play with a pianist and drummer. :cool:

14. my ex guitarist had a 60 watt fender bassman amp and a gibson les paul and we played in a small room with a drummer and me. he said he couldn't hear himself (B.S.!) so he got a 300 watt marshall stack. he quit the band because he said we weren't dedicated to it. he did it about 2 days before we were all gonna kick him out.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm pretty lucky then i guess....

one guitarist i play with (phat phunktion) plays with a Line6 Ax212 and definitely keeps it down

same for the bon pantalon guitarist (peavey delta blues 210)

and same for the hiphop/beats group i'm in (fender twin)

16. I was pretty much drowned out with a marshall half stack when i played through my Fender Bassman 100. Now i am not drowned out with my avatars and Hartke 3500 head. yummy :cool:

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My guitarist is a little bit deaf and a little bit 80's Brit ROCK. He turns down when I tell him though.

edit: I used to play in a metalcore or whatever the hell you call it type band with two guitarists, never had a problem.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The guitarist who plays with me sometimes said, "I found out one of the secrets of funk guitar, I have to be quieter than the bass."

:p

19. I had this problem a long time ago, then a rumour got started that if I complained about it 3 times I would kick the guitar players amp over. With a smile. Don't know how the rumour got started for I only did it once.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Nice.