Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who builds my dream jazz 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darjama, Mar 21, 2003.

1. OK, so here's what I'd love to find in a jazz 5:

-35" scale neck w. rosewood board and white block inlays

-alder body w. mary kaye finish & MOTS pickguard

-Passive / Active selectable electronics, say lane poors and bart pre?

-nice solid bridge

-of course, an awe inspiring b-string is mandatory

So who does or will build this for under $700? Or do I need a wakeup call?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    WAKE UP!!! :D

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    $700?! My compliments to the guy that sold you the 'shrooms! :p

4. ok, so who would build it affordably? Say under $1k, and let's say I wasn't quite so particular about pickups/electronics, I'd be happy with passive barts or SDuncans....

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    you would have to build it yourself, from parts .. MAYBE come in at around $1000 if you cut corners- block inlays, oh yes!! i remember ! i ordered a neck with block inlays early in Jan- still waiting- and youll pay extra for those...id give myself a little ore room ,, if i were you-

6. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    keep dreaming.....

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Close enough? eh......well these will probably only be in the $200 range.

[​IMG]

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Rondo's going to be getting in a jazz 5 sx with block inlays??? Dang..and I just ordered a 4. I don't really like the photo-flame top and gold harware though.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Not sure whether rondo will have that exact model or not, I found the pic on an SX international distributors site. I agree totally about the gold hardware, I have that exact same bass in a 4 string, but I replaced the gold hardware with chrome. I also have both fretted, and fretless SX necks for it. I'll most likely be moving it to pick up one of these 5er's when they some out through Rondo.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A J Retro in one of those, and you'll be on target! I plan on getting one if Rondo gets 'em in.

11. warmoth. and it be under 1000 . well under.

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'll second that one woodchuck. Those block inlays look killer, hopefully they will offer them on more than just that finish, but it isn't appearing that way.

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah I don't think I'd get one with that finish, I just don't like the looks of it- its what stopped me from getting the fretless Jazz. Maybe Kurt could order some of the block inlay necks as parts though?

14. wow, what's the url for the sx site you found that on? Their 4-string jazz has a 34.5 scale, so I'd guess the 5 would be at least that? So it's not the finish I want, for $200 it's too easy to swallow!

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Before labor, you mean.

Besides, I'm not sure Warmoth makes a 35" scale J neck. The Gecko is 35", though.

WHo makes it for $700? I guess the short answer is nobody, unless you keep an eye out on eBay and don't mind compromising a little. You might find something darn close and within your price range.

Since Land Poor is out of Business, used might be the only way to go in that regard.

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    http://www.teamintlco.com/

I'm not sure what the deal is, I was, as most others on this site under the impression that kurt/rondo music owned the name and company, but it isn't appearing as though. I made a post asking what the story was on the megathread, we will see what he says. I know my bro spotted this site a while back, and emailed Kurt about one of the SRV (SKY) strats, and Kurt said he couldn't get it. I'd look for kurt to have these in soon, but maybe not all models of them. Seems like a lot more people have been asking for P bass 5ers, than J's......I really hope they get the J5's with the block inlays!~

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Dude, have you checked the prices of LP stuff on the used market nowadays?!?!?!?!? A set of used lane poor 4 string J pickups would eat over half of your budget for the entire bass. Not too long ago a set on ebay ended at over $450 :eek:

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Under 1k for Warmoth? Think again. I calculate it to be around 1100 to 1150, and then that doesn't include shipping and some of the electronic parts you may need like shielding or pots. Remember, a bass is not just a neck and body, but you have to pay for things like the bridge, tuning machines, screws, string retainers, nuts, etc. I was fairly conservative with the parts I used for the calculation (no lane poor), I figured Basslines pickups and aguilar pre w/ all chrome hardware.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    What Sean said- i am presently putting together a USA Custom Guitars Jazz 5 - and i also have a Warmoth body to do the same with- even though the Warmoth body came from the thrift shop- by the time i add a neck, pickups a j retro and hardware AT DEALER PRICES - it s still more than $1000

20. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Oh yeah, and the warmoth option won't meet his requirements, isn't it only 34" scale for the jazz deluxe.

BTW, my Sadowsky Tokyo RJ5's 34" scale B rules.