Who builds their own cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretless Friday, Apr 9, 2001.

1. I did a search but didn't really turn up anything that had any value to my quest for information on cabinet building.

Who here has build their own cabs? What were the results? Did you like them? Care to share anything about them?

I am currently in the process of building a 2x10 cabinet, to be run off my almost complete 100 watt homebrew amp, and I was wondering if anyone here has words of wisdom for me.

2. Shouldn't take long....

I build my own cabs. Pictures of some of them are on my personal page, linked below in my signature. The results were quite ok (understatement :D). I've never heard a better bass cabinet in my life! But that was the idea. I built my own cabs, because what I wanted simply didn't exist. I would care to share anything about them. But I have to say what I always say to ppl who want to build a cab. A cab is a carefully designed resonator and meant to be used with one specific speaker. Put another speaker in it and chances are it sounds like horsedood, or you may even rip it to pieces. I have built a few dozens of cabs altogether, very bad ones, and lately (with 10 years of experience) very good ones. Good enough to start a company.

I'm Dutch; the brands I use are German or Italian. You should focus on brands in your area. I suppose you are a US citizen. Suggestions: JBL, EV, Peavey, Celestion. EV supplies cabinet suggestions in their downloadable manuals/specsheets. Or try simulate a cabinet with Boxplot (shareware, downloadable). I use my own spreadsheets and database, but Boxplot is ok.

C ya,

3. Thank you Joris.

Your work is beautiful.

I understand the mechanics of speaker cabinet design, I understand resonance, I even understand what I am looking for in this cabinet I am building.

I appreciate your response, and looking at your work was very enjoyable.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I love Pratchett!

Curious: what would you think of a cab, constructed to be acoustically sound and of the proper specifications for the driver(s) going in to the cab, that was made of some grade of aluminum? I have the means to construct such a cab (laser cut, form, weld, powdercoat) and am going to try it out this summer.

5. My custom cabinet is finally here! I haven't posted pictures yet, but they are coming. Here's the design, though. I paid to have it custom built by Armadillo Ampworks in Texas. I would have made a big expensive mess if I had built it myself, and they did top-notch work. www.armadilloampworks.com I used the fail-safe method of just building a sealed box. No tuning required, but the output is not optimized for the driver. It was good enough for the Ampeg B15 and B25B, so it's good enough for me.:D

6. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    This is REALLY old but needs bumpage...
  7. EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    I'd like to know if anyone has built their own 1x12 cab, for practices and the like, and if they'd care to share the design with me, because I'd like to build one but know NOTHING about cab design!
  8. Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I have not heard one bad thing about the Omni10.
    You do the research but they are easy to build and won't break your wallet.