Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who built a Fender Style Jazz bass...but with

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    ...a 3 piece reinforced Maple neck?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you mean with a Warmoth neck? then i have!

but its really heavy. sure, it'll be insured for no deadspots and whatnot, but if your body's too light like my USA custom one is, then you'll get some neck dive.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're talking about a bolt-on style neck, I'm not sure if anyone makes a THREE piece. USA Custom Guitars makes a 2-piece, with graphite reinforcement strips in the neck parallel to the truss rod. Likewise, Warmoth reinforces their necks (see above) with steel bars, but I don't remember if they only do one-piece necks of if you can get a two-piece. You could always contact a custom luthier (DP, Kinal, Ken Benensee, Chris Stambaugh, FBB, etc.) to see if they would be willing to clamp a three-piece neck together for you with graphite for reinforcement.

4. Joker,

I'm getting serious about a P-width, angled peg head, ebony fretless neck for my standard MIM J fretless.

How much neck dive can I expect?

I can't see where Hipshot Ultralights would be worth the fabulous cost above the GB7 tuners, unless the GB7 are cheesy...

Thoughts?

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hamer's CruiseBass Jazz clone, at least NOS the 5 string fretless 2Tek version that I've been at a local shop, has a 3 piece maple neck like you're asking about.