1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who can build be a ggg jumbo tonebender clone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DrowningBrian, Dec 28, 2011.

1. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

May 21, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    i would like a ggg jumbo tonebender built for me. i heard its like a big muff but kinda seems like some clean tone comes thru, sounds like the perfect fuzz to me. haha!
    is there a company that builds pedal kits? or you can just email me if you build pedals.
    brianmsk8@yahoo.com

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Paging Dr. Ratajski...;)

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Nah, swamped with fuzzrocious work.

Jimmy Rocket or Insomniac?

4. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Email sent with a "special introductory offer"!

5. d'awww you're makin' me blush

I encourage you to give it a shot yourself! There's a learning curve, but it's pretty easy to get started. It's like paint by numbers, but instead of painting, you're soldering.

6. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

May 21, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    dude your band lions and creators is sick! im digin it.
    i really like shut up, leopold.
    would you be up to building the pedal for me?

7. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    If the Jumbo Tonebender was a GGG kit, I'd agree. However, the Jumbo Tonebender is only available as a 'ready to solder' printed circuit board. That means the assembler has to get all the parts and figure out a layout that will allow the PCB, pots, stompswitch, input and output jacks, AND the battery to all fit in the little Hammond enclosure. The chance of making a mistake is high for a n00b, yes I've been there. The GGG kits are easier for a beginner because the case is pre-drilled, most of the pots are soldered to the PCB, and they have step-by-step assembly instructions.

The Jumbo tonebender is SO similar to the big muff circuit that it might make more sense to buy a used Muff and have it modded to JumboTB specs. The only obvious difference is the lack of clipping diodes on the 2nd gain stage in the JumboTB, and the lack of a buffer stage after the tone control.

8. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    One could buy the Big Muff kit and leave out the clippers in the first section and you'll have a Tonebender. Thier might be more differences in component values but the pcb, pots, enclosure, etc. should be the same.

9. It's really not that hard. My only previous soldering experience came from
    Wiring up speaker cabs, aka noobtastic. My first build was the GGG tuned muff and it worked the first time I fired it up.