Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who can make this crazy bass cheap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 28, 2005.

1. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I have this ridiculous vision a bass with a one-string neck, a two-string neck and a three-string neck. Seriously. Is there anybody out there who could make such a bass for reasonable money? Other than Krappy Guitars and a certain guy whose last name starts with "W" and ends with "ishnevsky"?

No, I don't really have a specific musical need for this.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends, if you were to have a 3 string on a 4 string width neck (like tony levin) im sure you could find someone to do it. But making a smaller neck takes more effort.

3. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Yeah, I could just take two narrow 4-string necks and set one up with 2 strings (Mark Sandman style) and the other with three, that would be close but not quite there and not very elegant.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Make yourself a Whamola!

I'm in the process of making one myself. Just ordered a pao ferro fretboard for it.

5. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    How much is "cheap" for you?

6. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Well, my doubleneck cost $600... I'm willing to spend at most twice that.

7. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    Sound like you've got money to burn pklima. Though, I have to say a 3-string sounds pretty cool.

8. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Money to burn? I don't know, $400 per neck is not that much.

9. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    I guess its just subjective.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Just a suggestion.. but I know the owner of Krappy guitars (I forget his first name) is a realy stand up kinda guy! He's on TB a lot.. Talk to him about him just making you the necks. Custom made to your specs. He seems like a really nice guy I don't think he would mind to make some one-off parts for you.

11. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Kevin. He just offered to make it for $175 plus shipping. I think we have a winner...