1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who can repair Glockenklang pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xring, Dec 31, 2011.

1. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I have a Human Base X.OC5 with the Glock pre. It has recently started acting up. When the volume knob is at max, there is alot of static, and noise. If I pull the pot to the passive position, all is fine. Also when active, if I back off the volume a smidge from max, the static and crackling disappears. Yes, I've changed batteries a couple of times. It's not that. Nothing seems amiss under the hood, but that doesn't really say much. Local GC tech won't touch it. No response yet from Human Base. Any ideas??
    Thanks.

2. Rickenhofner45

Rickenhofner45

Jan 3, 2011
  3. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Hmm. I definitely see a soldered ground to the cavity. Really though, I may as well be troubleshooting an alien gravity generator.
    Rickenhofner, thanks for the offer. If I have to send it off somewhere, I'll consider your very generous offer!

4. lscs

lscs

Dec 26, 2011
    It could be oxidation. If it was a ground issue, it could/should be all over the volume pot, not just max. Try that stewmac spray for pots.

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I will try to hose it down. It is strange that the very last 1/60th of a turn to max volume makes it happen. It did probe around the cavity gently to see if I could make it worse, or make it go away. Of course, nothing.
    Thanks for the tip. Would Radio Shack contact cleaner/ lube be a no no? I don't like the lube part. It is for electrical connections...

6. lscs

lscs

Dec 26, 2011
    User beware! Read the lable of that Radio shack stuff, it should tell you what its good for and what it does not play well with. I have never used it (Radio Shack stuff and "lube" does not make sence to me<reader beware I could be a goober with a lappy and an interwebb conction>) but it could be the same stuff as the StewMac stuff. Oxidation is oxidation, on like metals and semi-conductors that is, to remove it might, MIGHT BUT NOT, be the same. Talk to tha GC repair guy if your not sure. 5$ and 5 minutes with the right stuff could make the diff between the "Yah, save the day!" and "lube be a no no."

7. Rickenhofner45

Rickenhofner45

Jan 3, 2011
    No problem at all. I'm always looking for something to do.
    If you feel up to it, buy a cheap multimeter at RadioShack (if you don't have one), and try doing some continuity tests like the guy in that thread did. I could guide you through it, if you want.
    RadioShack® 15-Range Digital Multimeter - RadioShack.com

Something like that can be pretty handy.

8. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Gotcha. I will proceed cautiously!

9. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Well, cleaning the pot had no effect. Email to Human Base out in CA came back undeliverable. I could try to track it down but someone else would have to repair it anyway...
    I guess I'll email Germany. I'm sure they'll recommend a dealer right around the corner.:rolleyes:

10. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist:Lakland Basses
    Deoxit as a cleaner ebay or parts express. Then try Praxis musical they handle those basses or they did at one time !

11. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Praxis is going to take care of me big time. Phenominal customer service.:)