Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who can sell me on Avatar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Dec 2, 2003.

1. I've been not entirely happy with my Eden 410XLT lately, and have been looking at Mesa Cabs, but don't want to buy new (expense), and can't seem to find the used Diesel RR 4x10 I want anywhere.

So......

Having read on here much about Avatar, who can convince me they will pair nicely with my WT-800?

Not one around locally to play, so I'm skeptical of the hype.

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    epifani used dear brethren epifani!

3. I have consumer sickness .... like I read tons of good reviews about Avatar, but really can't believe its that good for the price .. there must be a catch. "If its not expensive its not good!"

Whats sad is I KNOW the added cost of most major companies is advertising and marketing ... not just the materials and labor. But I just can't seem to get over the hump.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    alot of the money goes to research and development as well as quality parts.

used epi's aren't much more expensive than the avatars and i am lovin my epifani. your tone is only as good as your weakest link. mine right now is the pre amp in my carvin and my swr head. and you know swr heads are far from being low on the tonal totem pole. the epifani's put out what you put in. i like that so i can eq how ever i want and thats what i will get. however i dont think there as "audiophile" as say EA or ACME. epi's and berg's are the best cabs on the market IMHO.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I almost never pass up an opportunity to praise my Avatar cab, but I wouldn't trade in my Goliath III for a second b410, and I couldn't see getting rid of Eden cabs in favor of Avatar, unless you got the opportunity to A/B them first and were SURE about the decision...

6. I'm not planning on getting rid of the Eden ... just yet. I'm not totally unhappy with the XLT, just not INCREDIBLY happy with it.

I do love my WT-800 though - sadly the one drawback to it is the ability to only bridge it into 8Ohms (which I knew before I bought the thing) - which pretty much negates getting any 6x10 that I want. Running a 6x10 off one side of the amp would be a waste I think.

Anyhow I'm way off my own topic now, heh. Probably done with it anyhow as I don't think I want an Avatar anyhow.

BTW, before you tell me to just get an Eden 2x10 to go with the 4x10, I've been that route and wasn't happy with that either.

Two 4 Ohm Mesa 4x10's is what I really want for XMAS!

w00t

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    see if jim can make you a bergie 6x10 or see if nick can make you an epi 6x10 in 8 ohm.

8. hmmm yea ... I've heard those nv610's are to die for .... great idea!

Amazing, that 6x10 weighs the same as the Eden 4x10.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, an Avatar b410 might sound really good *paired* with the Eden... I bought my b410 as an 'interim' cab until I could get a second Goliath - but I'm so happy with the way that combo sounds that I'm keeping the Avatar in my gig rig for the foreseeable future - I think the SWR and Avatar complement each other really well.

But if you're looking at Bergies, well...

;)

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, the b410 won't win any fat bottom contests -- but -- one man's "weak bottom" is another man's "always punchy, never boomy!"

:D

11. As you can probably tell, I have no idea what I'm doing except padding the board for my 1000th posts, hahahah

:D

Just so many options. Honestly though if I could find a used RR Diesel Mesa, I'd snatch it up.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Another 410 that goes down pretty low but isn't that expensive is the Yorkville XC410. It goes down to 41Hz and is only $519 at MF. Plus they're lighter than Avatars and look cooler.

[​IMG]

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I really think that most of the time you get what you pay for. But with Avatars you get just a little more, probably because advertising costs aren't reflected in the price. I will probably use 'em until a pick up a nice Bergantino when I have time to gig regularly!

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    There is also the option of stacking a B210 on a B212 or B15. That has been very popular and may give you more flexability.

15. you guys think a mesa powerhous 4x10 and a mesa powerhouse 1x15 would be loud enough out of a WT-800? Both cabs are 8 ohms, so thats only 240 watts a side into each of them.

16. Santcum - I am shopping around these days and am considering the Eden 4x10 XLT, though I haven't had the opportunity to play through one as of yet.

Can you share with me/us how the Eden is falling short for you? What you like/dislike about it, and what you're looking for in terms of improvement for your rig?

17. You know, I'm on again off again with this cab. I'll do my best to describe what I don't like, but I'm not very technically minded, so its just my opinion.

The cab has excellent midrange and high end tone. It also has a lot of bottom - too much sometimes - well, not too much, but it gets very "boomy." So, ok, I'll EQ it for whatever room I'm in, etc. But it seems when I get the "boomy" out then I've also lost the low end that I love. Sounds great in the practice room most days - Loses something for me live sometimes.

I've gotten nothing but compliments on my tone though - although I usually run DI right from the WT-800 to the PA, so maybe its a lot of that.

What I'm looking for is something with a little more "kick" in the low end - tighter. I've heard that from the Mesa's I've played. Heh, this thread has little to do with Avatar anymore :D

18. It also occured to me today that the Mesa Powerhouse 1000 is biamp-able. So I could run both sides of my WT-800 into the one cab - its 4Ohm full range, but has two 8Ohm jacks for bi-amping. I'd still be able to run the Eden head full range both sides, or bi-amp it (which I've never liked). Anyhow its an interesting option.