Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who can tell me about New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Feb 23, 2005.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    This might not be in the right forum. I am considering a move to NOLA. I heading down March 7-10 to check it out.

I'm into metal, rock, stoner rock, etc. What is the scene like? What are the good venues? What are the good local bands? Any info would be appreciated.

-Chris

2. One of my best friends was in New Orleans for a few years. I am fairly sure that metal is not the hot stuff there. If you can play funk, blues, zydeco, or country you'll find yourself at home. I was told that New Orleans is a very competitive place and you'd better have your chops and knowledge together if you want to play there in any style of music. I was also told that it's a rough place and the kind of place where you could wind up dead quickly if you aren't careful.

3. While those questions might get you information you want....you need to know cost-of-living and how much you can afford (you might be very surprised), crime statistics by neighborhood, job market, flood insurance requirements, and topography (among others). I hope I'm not coming across like a parent, but there is a lot you need to know about New Orleans before considering a move here.

I'll throw you a bone on topography: the entire city is literally below sea level. Water is kept out by levees and an antiquated pumping system that was designed in the 1940's (I believe). Every hurricane season, the local news reminds everyone that the city is shaped like a bowl. With a direct hit by a medium hurricane, the entire city will be under water. Planning on leaving before the storm hits? Get in line. Because of geography, there are really only 2 roads out of town, I-10 East and I-10 West. They are not designed to hold the kind of traffic a city-wide evacuation would require. Research last fall's evacuation for an idea of the problem.

Do your homework before you get here...and don't spend the whole time in the French Quarter...there is a lot to know and see.

Musically, this is a great place to live to hear quality talent....make your mark.

Mike

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Lived in Louisiana almost 23 years.....be afraid, be very afraid!

Only reason I desire to go back is the awesome food and most of my family lives all over the state. As for "Nawlins'"....you can get a staph infection from looking at it! Go walk around at Mardi Gras..you won't wanna stay there much longer.

The above comments are very correct about the music scene..even country music has a hard time there. Metal??? No way....it's bluegrass and Zydeco and if you wanna play that you better have some serious chops to compete with some of the cats down there.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    that's been our experience too, VERY tough town to get established in musically.
    There's some cool areas, there's lots of nasty areas.
    Good food though!

6. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    What everyone else has said about the city is pretty darn accurate if you ask me. I'd also say that this isn't the place to move if you think you're gonna hit it big with Rock or Metal, this just isn't the place.

I'll also throw in that as far as the Rock/Metal scene goes, there's only a handful of bars/clubs that really welcome that type of crowd. You can get a shot in plenty of bars, but they're in an area called Fat City that isn't the safest in the world either. Also, most of these bars don;t have a built in crowd, so it's imperative that if you want people to be in there, you'll need to bring them, or bring a band with a big following.

Another thing that seems to be pretty unique to this area is the fact that you'll very rarely get a gig that guarantees any money. Most of these places are bars, and they'll let you collect whatever you want at the door, and that's what you get. For example, if you have three bands play, and you collect $300 at the door, that (generally) means that each band gets $100. That isn't a hard and fast rule, because some bands play short sets, or don't bring anyone, but this is the norm for decent semi-established bands.

Also, the Metal scene here is huge, but almost entirely underground, and therefore it gets alomost no recognition from anyone. If you want to be in the scene, and meet other musicians, you have to go to their shows. Basically, drive to whatever bar and pay your $5-$7 to get in. That's where most people are. There are a couple of popular Metal spots like "Zeppelin's," "Dixie," and a few others, and those places do have somewhat of a built in crowd, but it's still not a guarantee.

I've also never seen anyone "sub" on an instrument for a Metal show, meaning that if someone can't do the show, the band doesn't do the show. But my experiences in the city stem from my time in a hard rock/heavy metal band, so I may just be missing out. :bag:

Anymore questions, just ask,
    Craig

(If your in the area, check out my old band Quiver (www.quiverband.com))